Old news for SMAC members.

Discussion in 'SMAC Forum' started by olson_jr, Feb 24, 2018.

1. olson_jr

olson_jr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

My schools were awash in Daves. And Mikes. Running joke in 9th grade English class was to yell out "Hey, Mike!" and get four "what??" responses (which of course, annoyed them no end). In fact, my school buddy Mike's brother is named Dave--everyone had a brother named Dave. Just like in our Warren neighborhood growing up, if you weren't Polish, you were most likely Italian. And I wasn't, except for a smidge of Polish--25% worth, actually. Just enough to appreciate pączki, kielbasa, bowling and Frankie Yankovic.

There is a David ("not Dave," he insists) two doors down from Casa Wildcat, but I don't think there are any-sized Daves hidden in the house, attic or otherwise. At least not that I know of. But with the house being 78 years old, there's no telling what may be hidden in the walls, buried in the backyard, cast beneath the concrete floor, etc.

3. olson_jr

@Wildcat If you ever come to a SMAC meet and yell Dave you will understand what that was about.

4. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

I can imagine--that reminds me of school. :D

SMDC--Southeast Michigan Dave Club.

Bonus points for good punctuation. ;)

5. teal'c

teal'c It's all moo

Lot of Brits in the club?

6. 313guy

313guy extra ordinary member Subscriber

From a 2012 SMAC meet:
    [​IMG]
    From L to R , Dave, Dave, Dave and Dave.

olson_jr and KentTeffeteller like this.

7. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

Well, I recognize Dave #2... :D

If I show up at a meet in one of my Cardas t-shirts and ask for Dave, y'all will know who I am.

8. Mystic

Mystic We're all born mad

Howdy Daves!. Not to badger ya, but how yooze doin'?

olson_jr likes this.
  9. 313guy

313guy extra ordinary member Subscriber

Badgers?
    We don't need no stinkin' badgers.

Saw Dave #3 (dmax99) today, coincidentally at the same venue.
    Daves 1 (olson_jr ) and 4 (WntrMute2 ) were not in attendance.
    Dave #2 (botrytis) is in Iowa now iirc. There were at least two other Daves in present today, but I did not photograph either of them.

How bout your own bad self, Edwin? Staying mostly out of trouble?

olson_jr likes this.
  10. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

I had too much piled up on me today to make it out to the Dave Meet--I'm leaving on a road trip two weeks from today, and am having to cram four weeks of work, chores, to-do list, etc. into two weeks. I thought @olson_jr might be going, but apparently he couldn't make it either...?

Next meet, there should be nametags. Only need two. "Dave" and "Not Dave" (or "Dave"). Everyone gets to wear one. :)

olson_jr and 313guy like this.
  11. Mystic

Call me "Dave", please. :smoke:

313guy likes this.

12. Mystic

olson_jr likes this.
  13. olson_jr

14. olson_jr

We went for a long bike ride in the morning, somehow got in the middle of a unicycle marathon race, and the SMAC meet slipped my mind.

IMG_2029.JPG IMG_2026.JPG IMG_2025.JPG IMG_2023.JPG

15. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

@olson_jr Whereabouts can you ride around there? I always had to take the bike down to Lower Huron or up to Kensington when I lived out there (kitty-corner to Heritage Park). I still go to both, but not as frequently. These days, the Macomb Orchard Trail and Lake St. Clair Metropark (which connects to the Freedom Trail along Metro Pkwy) are my "local" rides. This side of town is too bike-hostile to trust going out on the streets or sidewalks. No bike paths or trails whatsoever.

I am hoping to get to the picnic next month though, provided it's not while I'm still out on the road.

16. olson_jr

@Wildcat

That was in Hines Drive. They close the road to traffic on Saturday during the summer months. Have not done it for years but we used to all the time when we lived in Livonia.

Other than that it is Kensington, Island Lake, Hudson Mills to Dexter, in circles at Mayberry State Park or the dirt roads near the Plymouth Apple Orchard.

Canton also built a trail along the Lower Rouge and throught the area but we have not tried it yet.

17. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

When it opened, I think it was just a dirt trail, maybe with wood chips on it. (I don't know if maybe it was gravel or limestone.) In the sub I lived in (Palmer/Canton Center), the Lower Rouge was behind the houses across the street. We had our share of critters at the house--frogs, ducks, a snake, etc.

The Hines Dr. ride is nice. I've done that once on a weekday, via the trails, from behind Andiamo's on Michigan Ave. up to the last big hill in Northville, and back. (Didn't want to burn myself out.) I need to get back down there and try it again. It is a nice tree-lined ride.

A great ride (if you can tackle 44 miles round trip) is to start at Lower Huron, take the connecting trail to Willow and cross the road over to Oakwoods, and then take the connector from there through downtown Flat Rock (at Huroc Park) and along Gibraltar Rd. out to Lk Erie Metropark. (My "Four Metropark Ride".) It's a long but nice ride, and I like taking a lunch out there at the end of the park (at the inlet to the marina). But it does eat up a few hours, for sure. Lower Huron's trail is pretty much north/south, no loop. Willow has a loop around the park. Oakwoods is another north/south trail, with the Downriver Greenways Initiative connecting trail that leads to Flat Rock.

From Kensington, I've taken the trail to downtown Milford (going out the northeast entrance), and Wixom or downtown South Lyon via the Huron Valley Trail (cut under the freeway from Kensington to Island Lake, then take the trail immediately east to exit Island Lake). But it requires doing the "garbage dump climb" over the landfill, which has some loose gravel here and there. Going south at Feldman Chevy (the trail is between the dealer and I-96) gets you to S. Lyon, and north heads to Wixom.

A favorite ride of mine that you might like is from downtown Rochester up the Paint Creek Trail, ending in Lake Orion. (If you cross the main road in Lake Orion, there is a small park on the lake about a quarter mile to the right.) The trail is crushed limestone, but easy to pedal. It passes a cider mill, and there are still a few historic markers along the way.

(Sorry...I'm a rail trail addict. :D )

18. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

There is a Dave Party this Saturday. There's a sneaking suspicion I may just attend... ;)

19. olson_jr

I will be at the meet but have to leave early for a non-SMAC friend's Birthday party. Funny thing is that he is also named Dave.

20. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

I'll be doing the same, although it's dinner plans with my better half. And she is not named Dave.

At least it's my side of the Woodward Dream Cruise. Don't want to get wrapped up in that headache. It's straight down 12 Mile the whole way (since 696 is closed).