Old Pioneer Tonearm Counter-counterweights

T

twintwelve1484

Elo kiddies,

I have a swell PL-55DX that I really like. It's one of their first DD tables, and has the early-style tonearm like most of the 2-digit PL's have.

In addition to the regular tracking force counterweight, there's a cylindrical counterweight that slides back and forth on an arm that seems to possibly counterbalance the "S" curve in the arm?

Is there any methodology for adjusting this counterweight, besides setting it to where it looks the coolest (and cool it does look!...I remember thinking those looked pretty cool when they were new)

Also, if anyone else has a 55DX, chime in. If anyone has one for sale, IM me, as I'd like to pick up another.

Thats your anti skate weight

grumpy said:
Thats your anti skate weight

Well, I had considered that, but there's also a conventional anti-skate adjustment in the form of a small dial at the base of the tonearm.

So...what the hell do I do with this thing?

grumpy said:
Got a pic ?

Whaaaat, do I look like Ansel Adams? :naughty:

Here's one just like it, sold yesterday on Ebay...damn.

PIONEER2.JPG

Edit: Good guess but Wrong - See later posts Below :rolleyes:

As Grumpy said that is an antiskating adjustment weight. I suspect the antiskate dial is a gross adjustment and the weight is for fine adjustment.

Try this:

Set the dial to whatever tracking force you are using and then adjust the weight until the arm hovers over the record without drifting either left or right.

Caveat: (ie.weasel word section ) I am only guessing about this. Someone who knows that table will likely come along to confirm or correct my suggestion.

Last edited:
There was a weight like that on the Lustre (RB200) arm on the Rega Planar 2. There were no instructions regarding adjusting this weight and near as I recall it did not slide along the shaft. No freaking idea what it did and since my Rega now has an RB300 I don't really care.

Rob

twintwelve1484, I've got a PL-55X and a PL-55DX. Happy with both.

I also have a original user's manual I can scan and I may be able to dig up a pdf of the service manual.

PM me if you're interested.

bob p., austin

That second weight on the little outrigger is exactly what you thought it was -- to balance the arm side to side, to compensate for the s curve shape of the arm. Most or many other s shaped arms just set the bearing angle or offset to center the mass, but Pioneer used the little weight. The location is not critical, though if you tilt the table -- left or right side up -- you might be able to get it more correct. But basically just put it most of the way out on the outrigger arm.

Nat said:
That second weight on the little outrigger is exactly what you thought it was -- to balance the arm side to side, to compensate for the s curve shape of the arm.

I knew all that engineering training would pay off! Someday, they might even let me drive the train, rather than just blow the horn!

From the Fidelity research FR60 tonearm manual. Thanks to Vinyl Engine.

Lateral balance should be performed after completing vertical balance.
Attatch the lateral balance weight so that there is 5mm between the tip of the shaft and the surface of the weight.
Next, lift up the front of the turntable 2-3cm and watch the way the tonearm moves.
(If lateral balance is not correct, the tonearm will swing to the left or right.)
Adjust the lateral balance weight until the arm does not swing but stays in one place when the front of the cabinet is lifted.
This adjustment must be carried out with the tonearm in the area where itwill not be affected by the anti skating control.
The lateral balance control is provided to correct for the sideways tendency in tonearm movement that occurs when the turntable cabinet is not used on a horizontal stand. Practically speaking, no problems will occur if the turntable is installed level. Therefore, you ordinarily don't need to pay too much attention to this adjustment.
I don't think that the adjustment can be done at all on a tonearm with a spring type anti skating mechanism.

Don C said:
From the Fidelity research FR60 tonearm manual. Thanks to Vinyl Engine.

I don't think that the adjustment can be done at all on a tonearm with a spring type anti skating mechanism.

I have a Realistic LAB-390 and a Hitachi HT-40S with the weight. the RS had specific instructions, similar to those stated previously and the Hitachi usues a slide-on weight that you move in and out (which I also don't know how to do right). I know the Realistic has to be a spring type but I have to adjust it.

By the way...

Tomorrow I score a $5 Marantz DD with a "wood" base and a dangling cartridge but I have a brand-new Shure standing by in case. The Thrift manager is young and knows I know what I want so I get to pick stuff and look for parts units.

Back
Top Bottom