Old timers, what does it feel like to be able to buy all this cool stuff for next to nothing?

I haven't purchased much in the last few years, but I did very well. But I was a picker long before there ever was a show by that title. I don't care to talk about the prices I paid as I don't want it to come back and bite me when I put something up for sale.

Ten years ago I know those Technics SP10 MkII's that Mr. Pig likes were a lot less money so don't let him fool you. :biggrin:

I’m a semi-old-timer, and I’m glad that I can now afford what I want. IMO, the “golden age” of hi-fi was late 1950s and early ‘60s tube amps. I own a bunch. I paid current market price for them all.

If you like visiting garage sales, and find stuff you like for $10, then congratulations. To each their own. AK is a diverse community – in terms of people’s taste in equipment, and music. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/do-you-think-ak-is-about-vintage-or-cheap.161400/

finding....selling listening....selling..listening..finding then listening...oh ya did I mention selling.. ya this hobby is the best....happy to get it cheap..maybe...but the fun is in just doing it..:jump:

All the recent Cerwin Vega aquisition's I've made since last May are phenomenal bargains yes...... $80 for a pair of PD9's that sold for $999 back in 1988, and $80 for a pair of Cerwin Vega PD6's that were $799 in 1988,
& $300 for a mint like new condition pair of Cerwin Vega 380SE that were $1000 back in 1990....and all of these were in 97% condition accept the PD6 which were 95% perfect just had to straighten and strengthen the base risers.... So I see the original posters point very well..

I dunno, the one thing I lusted over audio-wise as a kid was my grandmother's old Pilot console. For logistical reasons I couldn't acquire it.

I really wish that the Pilot 654 receiver that I ended up getting was a) functionally as good as the one in Grandma's console and b) $10...
My Grandmother had a really bitchin' Montgomery Ward 8-track player that I totally blasted Van Halen with, that is until she came walking through the door. :D

My Grandmother had a really bitchin' Montgomery Ward 8-track player that I totally blasted Van Halen with, that is until she came walking through the door. :D

LOL my grandma was actually pretty cool. She was a big classical music fan and lived in a huge old farmhouse in the country. So big and old that the kitchen was an add on and the living room was 3 rooms away. But rather than getting a radio for the kitchen she'd just rack up a bunch of Beethoven or Mahler in the living room and crank it up loud enough to hear it in the kitchen when she was cooking. So lots of Christmas visits involved opening the door and getting smacked in the face with Angry German Guys at high volume as a welcome :)

I don’t know about next to nothing but I do love being able to own the best ever cassette decks, machines I could never have afforded new in the 80s and 90s.

Being only 47, I don't think I'm considered an "old timer" quite yet. Either way, I'm still looking for that elusive tube McIntosh system for only $10 at either a thrift store or yard sale :biggrin::dunno::crazy::naughty::rflmao:

YES I'm lovin it. :banana: Prices have gone up big time from when I first started collecting(2006) but still can find some relatively good deals.My friends come over now and they say it's like walking into a 70's stereo shop.Still a few more pieces I want,it'll just take a little longer to get them.

The "good old days" are just that...the good old days. The last gear bargain I acquired was a Realistic SA-1001 integrated I found at a garage sale last summer for $5. Mint physically...but a few electronic issues that need to be sorted out. Otherwise...not much worth looking at let alone buying. Vinyl? Mostly trash at unrealistic prices. A local pawn took in a couple hundred LPs. He has them priced at FOURTEEN NINETY-NINE each or 5 for $49.99. Of course I looked through them....only a handful I'd even consider $5 records given the overall condition of the bunch. I'm considering giving him a tutorial on LP pricing:)

Back
Top Bottom