Old VHS player - Smart TV

shacky

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I haven’t played VHS in years. Came across my gold edition of first 3 Star Wars movies (VHS) and decided to hook it up to my newish Samsung Smart TV.

There’s only analog input for RGB!!! I see me son had his XBox connected.

How the heck do you go from single RCA video jack to RGB? Or analogue VHS to HDMI.

Help! I feel old!

Does your set have a tuner? Many sets have both analog and digital tuning. You could use coax and good ole' channel 3!

You need something like this... 24pin xBox to Scart...

Wholesale-1-Pc-New-1-8m-6ft-RGB-Scart-Video-HD-TV-AV-Cable-for-XBOX.jpg

Or something like this... 24pin xBox to RCA A/V

44928003-1-zoom.jpg

Or you can Do It Yourself...

xbox.png

For any analog A/V connection to digital HDMI you need some of convertors like this...

41v3bh7fWDL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

@FileFixer

For what it is worth, SCART is uncommon in USA. I've only seen one for sure, maybe two, TVs that had it in all my 50+ years.

You dont have SCART on TVs or VCRs in USA?! In Europe every TV have SCART connector as Composite and HDMI, Component inputs have some TVs. All VCRs what I see for home use have SCART as standard connection.
I dont know what @shacky have from behind on him VCR. It say that have RGB input. What RGB input? What RCA output, composite, component...? He also say that have analog output from VCR but what analog output... Composite, Component, S-Video?
Any picture will be good to see situation from VCR back panel.

Nope, SCART is rare in USA. Never caught on here.

I doubt most people in USA have ever seen one, let alone know what it is for.

Last edited:
I guess I'm lucky I kept an old TV that's still compatible with my oldest back-up vcr. I feel older than the original poster because I never learned to program the vcr, and it still feels like new tech to me. ;)

You could also use a s-video to component adapter cable if VHS player has s-video output. That would be preferred to using composite video.

Nope yellow does not work as component video. Looks like I’ll buy hdmi converter. They’re cheap.

No s-video out on my deck.

Nope yellow does not work as component video. Looks like I’ll buy hdmi converter. They’re cheap.

No s-video out on my deck.

Are you sure you selected the correct input? There is usually a separate input selection for COMPONENT and AV (composite) even though it's the same jack.

It's not a given; has to be a combo jack.

+1
My recent Samsung LED and LCD HDTV's have a composite video inputs with the green connector input labelled for composite video too. I also use VCR's RF output to the TV's antennae input if I don't need better sound.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom