Old western reruns on tv

What?... no Love for F Troop? Well probably not in the same league as all the western greats already mentioned.

Speaking of John Ford, my favorite of his was "My Darling Clementine". A great example of real art in black and white.

I mentioned F Troop. Damn funny show.

cubdog

Speaking of John Ford, my favorite of his was "My Darling Clementine". A great example of real art in black and white.[/QUOTE

Thanks for that. I am a John Ford fan, but never saw "My Darling Clementine".
I'll have to check it out. Just caught "Stagecoach" last week. Superb as well.

Speaking of John Ford, my favorite of his was "My Darling Clementine". A great example of real art in black and white.[/QUOTE

Thanks for that. I am a John Ford fan, but never saw "My Darling Clementine".
I'll have to check it out. Just caught "Stagecoach" last week. Superb as well.

My Darling Clementine really is a great movie. One of the best westerns of all time.

cubdog

Caught an episode of "Gunsmoke" from 1964 on the Encore Western Network.

I had forgotten that in early episodes, Burt Reynolds was "Quint", Marshal Dillon's first Deputy. I remembered Festus and Newley, but not Quint until I saw the episode.

BTW, "Stagecoach" is an AMAZING Western for when it was produced (1939). John Ford really must have pulled out all the stops when he filmed it. And the stunt men that filmed the Indian Chase Scene must have had nerves of Titanium. Talk about stunt production risk. I can't imagine that being filmed without a few serious injuries to the Stunt Men.

The " Stagecoach" stunt was designed and most of it done by Yakima Canutt, was uncredited for this movie. He later did the race for " Ben Hur" and is a hall of fame stuntman, a true pioneer of the craft. Good Wikipedia entry on him.

Bruce,

Thanks, Doc. I had never heard of Mr. Yakima Canutt. If you Google him, it's pretty damn impressive. The Dude (and I can literally call him a Dude) was a balls-out true Cowboy.

I'm starting to really get into Westerns for the first time in my life. I watched them as a kid, but I'm not sure it wasn't because that was the only thing to watch. Now, I'm not sure I watch them because them make me feel like a kid again, or they are just FUN to watch.

Either way, I'm really enjoying the ride!

We used to get an over the air TV channel in Albuquerque that showed a ton of western movies. Great for summer evenings in the desert...

We used to get an over the air TV channel in Albuquerque that showed a ton of western movies. Great for summer evenings in the desert...

No kidding! That's livin' large. Summer Desert nights, old Westerns. Enjoyment X 2.

Still watching "Encore Western Channel" daily. I'm on a real Western kick for some reason.

Watching one now on Encore Western's that I had never heard of.

"The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp" starring Hugh O'Brien.
1959. 1/2 hour show.

Interesting. Wonder how many other series I have never heard of.

watching one right now..a movie. Bitter Creek (1954) with Wild Bill Elliott. Every cliché in the book but I'll watch.

I never was into the three that you mentioned in the OP, OP. But in my later years, I have come to want them. Not sure why though. Could the writing for Gunsmoke be ANY better?

I never was into the three that you mentioned in the OP, OP. But in my later years, I have come to want them. Not sure why though. Could the writing for Gunsmoke be ANY better?

Funny how we all have different tastes. I disliked Gunsmoke as a child and still do. the stories always seemed very dull, the acting wooden. I just never could get into any of the characters with the possible exception of Dennis Weaver's.
I felt the same way about The Rifleman.

cubdog

Funny how we all have different tastes. I disliked Gunsmoke as a child and still do. the stories always seemed very dull, the acting wooden. I just never could get into any of the characters with the possible exception of Dennis Weaver's.
I felt the same way about The Rifleman.

cubdog

I still watch the older Gunsmoke episodes on the Western Channel. They always had a good moral lesson. I'm surprised how many episodes involved things like racism, domestic violence and rape. Pretty progressive for that time period. The Rifleman was boring because Lucas McCain basically spent his time shooting down everyone who entered the town. It's hard to have an exciting show when most of the characters are dead.

Interesting observation.

When I first dove back into Westerns, I happened to tune in an old 1950's something episode of "Marshal Dillon" pre "Gunsmoke" days.

I've said this before and it's worth repeating. Damn! All they did in that show was drink black coffee and shoot at each other! Hell, If I drank a pot of perked black coffee I'd probably be irritable too. :)

Well, it was the Wild West. Not much law and order out there back in the day. I guess the writers always went back to tried and true plot lines when the ideas became thin.

Interesting observation.

When I first dove back into Westerns, I happened to tune in an old 1950's something episode of "Marshal Dillon" pre "Gunsmoke" days.

I've said this before and it's worth repeating. Damn! All they did in that show was drink black coffee and shoot at each other! Hell, If I drank a pot of perked black coffee I'd probably be irritable too. :)

Well, it was the Wild West. Not much law and order out there back in the day. I guess the writers always went back to tried and true plot lines when the ideas became thin.

Interesting as Gunsmoke was a radio show long before a tv series and Dillon, the Sheriff. The tv series had the same characters but a few of them had personality and habit changes, I guess to make it more child acceptable. For instance in the radio series Kitties was a bar girl with a pronounced side profession that even Dillon used but she also had a special relationship with him. The Dillon charactor was more than willing to use his gun whether to shoot or teach someone a lesson while in the tv series these were played down and Kittie owned the Longbranch.

As I said up thread all of the radio gunsmokes are downloadable from the Internet Archive site. The show started in 1950, and ran till 1961. I was in reruns for years afterward on AFRTS.

I got sent home from church school in 1951 for wearing my "Hoppy" chaps and gun belt to class.

Interesting that no one has mentioned The Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Wanted Dead or Alive, Chochese (spam?), Rin Tin Tin, F Troop, Skyking, Kit Carson, Hopalong Cassidy, Range Rider, Riders of the Whispering Pines, Zorro, and a whole host of others. I remember Radio Ranch serials as a kid battling that underground world. As A kid I thought that comedy shows, westerns and, cartoons were the things that glt television off the ground and made it not just a passing fancy.

Maybe I am just a bit older that u guys. When westerns went color, they seemed to lose something.

Back
Top Bottom