Old western reruns on tv

Johnny Yuma, "The Rebel". Carried a sawed off shotgun, a reminder of the odd weapons TV western heroes often carried. Josh Randall had his sawed off rifle, Bat Masterson whacked people with a cane, Lucas McCane had his "Stagecoach" rip-off rapid fire rifle, Jim Bowie (a fighter, a fearless and mighty adventuring man) had his big knife ( with which Bowie, in real life a slave dealer, "fought for the rights of man"), the " Branded" guy (scorned as the one who ran) had his busted saber and of course Wyatt Earp had his longass Buntline Special revolver.

When Bat Masterson was popular half the kids in the neighborhood were running around knocking each other on the noggin with those canes.

Last edited:
When Bat Masterson was popular half the kids in the neighborhood were running around knocking each other on the noggin with those canes.

Masterson lived until 1921 and was a New York sports writer/editor. I can only imagine the stories he told to his fellow scribes.

Likewise Wyatt Earp lived a long life after the his old west days. He died in LA in 1929. Amazing to think how their lives overlapped into comparatively modern times.

cubdog

Masterson lived until 1921 and was a New York sports writer/editor. I can only imagine the stories he told to his fellow scribes.

Likewise Wyatt Earp lived a long life after the his old west days. He died in LA in 1929. Amazing to think how their lives overlapped into comparatively modern times.

cubdog

I've thought about that a lot, Cubdog. From the Old West to the Automobile, Telephone, Motion Pictures with sound, Radio and Electricity. Had to be an amazing transformation.

One of my favorite Western Movies "The Shootist" with John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Lauren Bacall and Ron Howard had this overlap where the old Gunslinger, John Wayne, was now dealing with the evolution of America with the horseless carriage, electricity, telephone and modern times changing his paradigm. The end of an era.

BTW, Lauren Bacall looked great in that movie, and STILL looks good today at 89 years old, bless her heart.

Like Meggy said, all the stars that are big now, including the ones that aren't big anymore cause they're dead (these shows were a long time ago), who were just up and coming at the time.

I'm loving every Saturday afternoon with this ME-TV channel. Wagon Train, Bonanza, Rawhide, couple episodes of The Rebel, couple episodes of Wanted: Dead or Alive, and closes out with two episodes of The Rifleman (who played for the Brooklyn Dodgers and is also reputed to be the first guy to shatter a NBA backboard).

Bonanza is also on twice on weekdays. I've seen episodes that I never saw before lately, to include the one where Ben C. marries Adam's mother who dies giving birth to Adam, and the one where he marries the woman who would become Hoss & Little Joe's mom. Hoss's real name was Eric, he took Hoss from an uncle on his mother's side. Scandinavian.

Great stuff. Nobody mentioned The Restless Gun with John Payne. Early 50's daytime show. Colt.45 was another one.

Yep. Good stuff.

I have the Encore Network channels and one of them is Encore Westerns so they show old Westerns sprinkled with Western Movies 24/7. I love the old "Marshal Dillon" black and white episodes pre-Gunsmoke. It just AMAZES me how much perked black coffee they drank on that show when they weren't shooting at each other. They should have re-named the show "Caffeine Jitters and Flying Bullets".

Also, TV Land shows Bonanza and Gunsmoke every afternoon. To get ME TV I have to unhook the U-Verse and hook up an OTA Antenna. So I just enjoy the Encore Western channel.

Would you expect The Lone Ranger to walk around without his mask?

Another odd duck, not to mention his faithful Indian companion. How about when the Lone Ranger would send Tonto into a racist tavern to get his ass kicked while the Ranger watched, disguised as a grizzled old miner. That night they'd have a sado-masochistic romp beside the camp fire, mask and all.

The Rifleman (who played for the Brooklyn Dodgers and is also reputed to be the first guy to shatter a NBA backboard).

Conners had only one AB with the Dodgers in 1949. His only other Major League service came with the Cubs in 1951. With Chicago he hit .239 with 2 HR and 18 RBI in 201 AB.

cubdog

Happened to catch "The Man from Laramie" on The Sony Movie Channel.

Fairly decent movie from 1955 (in Color) starring Jimmy Stewart, Arthur Kennedy, Donald Crisp, and Cathy O'Donnell. Directed by Anthony Mann.

Plot was about a Cowboy searching for the Gunrunner that he believes was responsible for his Brother's death but along the way encounters an arrogant and ruthless son of a Cattle Baron.

FYI: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048342/

I am not sure I knew about this movie. Possibly, but I don't really remember. Makes me wonder how many hundreds or possibly thousands of old Westerns I do not know about., not to mention the thousands of TV Westerns I have not seen, or saw so long ago I have forgotten about them.

Last edited:
Like Meggy said, all the stars that are big now, including the ones that aren't big anymore cause they're dead (these shows were a long time ago), who were just up and coming at the time.

I'm loving every Saturday afternoon with this ME-TV channel. Wagon Train, Bonanza, Rawhide, couple episodes of The Rebel, couple episodes of Wanted: Dead or Alive, and closes out with two episodes of The Rifleman (who played for the Brooklyn Dodgers and is also reputed to be the first guy to shatter a NBA backboard).

Bonanza is also on twice on weekdays. I've seen episodes that I never saw before lately, to include the one where Ben C. marries Adam's mother who dies giving birth to Adam, and the one where he marries the woman who would become Hoss & Little Joe's mom. Hoss's real name was Eric, he took Hoss from an uncle on his mother's side. Scandinavian.

Great stuff. Nobody mentioned The Restless Gun with John Payne. Early 50's daytime show. Colt.45 was another one.

Hoss and Little Joe had different mothers, Joe's was from New Orleans not sure how Ben got down there but he did get around.

Happened to catch "The Man from Laramie" on The Sony Movie Channel.

Fairly decent movie from 1955 (in Color) starring Jimmy Stewart, Arthur Kennedy, Donald Crisp, and Cathy O'Donnell. Directed by Anthony Mann.

The Mann-Stewart pictures have a considerable following and were much written about. I think the best of the bunch was "Winchester 73"; not so much for Stewart but for two of the best bad guys ever---Dan Duryae as Waco Johnny Dean (left) and Steve McNally (right) as Dutch Henry Brown.

The Mann-Stewart pictures have a considerable following and were much written about. I think the best of the bunch was "Winchester 73"; not so much for Stewart but for two of the best bad guys ever---Dan Duryae as Waco Johnny Dean (left) and Steve McNally (right) as Dutch Henry Brown.

Thanks Tom. You are a wealth of knowledge in this arena, that's for sure. Much appreciated. I'll have to check out "Winchester 73".

Today I caught my first "Have Gun Will Travel". I sat there and said, "AHHH! NOW I know who Richard Boon is! He was in many Westerns including "The Shootist" with John Wayne.

And, interestingly, I Googled him and he passed away in St. Augustine. The man had good taste. ;)

Caught a great Western (although not that old) on Encore Western network last night.

DwightYoakamSouthofHeavenWestofHell.jpg

"South of Heaven, West of Hell" Released 2000.
Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0179473/

Interesting cast. Vince Vaughn, Bridget Fonda, Peter Fonda, Billy Bob Thornton and others. Directed by Dwight Yoakam (not familiar with his work until this movie).

I really liked it. Kept me on my toes. The ending is amazing. Talk about blowing the entire plot to Hell.... ;) If you watch it you'll understand.

Back
Top Bottom