old yamaha pro amps P series ? or should I get a newer S model?

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by gentlejax, Jun 14, 2018.

1. gentlejax

gentlejax AK Subscriber Subscriber

im kind of wanting to try out some yamaha pro amps but I was about the buy a P2700 and I read online where it was common for some of that glue to cause issues with channels and other stuff. now I am not sure I shouldnt buy one of the 2005 or so S series amps ..the silver ones

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Chris Brown

Chris Brown AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don't have any experience with the P2700 but I have a P3500 which is pretty much identical including the same ~350wpc into 8ohms output. I've got mine setup temporarily powering my subwoofers, which is a 4ohm load. In that config it puts out about ~500wpc. The subs eat that up easily so it's often pushed to the edge of clipping. Despite me pushing the amp so hard on a regular basis, it works great and sounds great. In the past when I've used it to power my other speakers, I don't feel that it gave anything up compared to my other amps such as my P2200 or M-2. I've never had any glue issues with my P3500 nor personally heard of glue issues being common with these particular amps.

3. gentlejax

gentlejax AK Subscriber Subscriber

thanks for reply. I got a little mixed up but the amps that are newer would be the P3500S or P5000S . the ones with the glue issue were the all black and the model I looked at was a P2700. I google it and read where some people had channel issues and had to clean up some glue that had caused some issues. these were the old models .

Im swaying towards the newer silver and black with the big dials on them from the 2005 or so. mainly a 3500 or 5000

4. slow_jazz

slow_jazz Lunatic Member

I owned a P2200 for years.

I liked it because it didn't have a fan.

do the S series have a fan??

5. miklemke

miklemke AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a P7000s. It has two "computer" fans that come on periodically based on the internal temperature. The higher the temp the higher the fan speed. The fans are very quiet, so noise is not a problem. They also have a P2500s and P5000s that I assume also have the fans.

I also have a PC2002M. It has no fans. I did replace all of the electrolytic capacitors and removed the corrosive "Sony" glue which had done some damage. I also had to replace a few diodes because of corrosion caused by the glue.

Both amps sound great in my opinion.