Older Highend CD Players

Northguy

I have been looking for a used higher end cd player for my system. The problem I have is I don't know what model numbers for different brands designate higher end.

The brands that come up most around here are Technics, Pioneer, Marantz, JVC, Sony, Yamaha, Luxman,, Denon and Teac.

I am looking for a single disc players only. If you guys could post some higher end model numbers for the above brands I would be grateful. Looking for models approximately five to fifteen years old. The models don't have to be the highest end model they made but up there.

I will write the models down in a list and take the list with me when I go audio hunting. Thanks.

For a start, look for any Sonys with "777" in the model numbers. For that matter, almost any Sony in the ES series is worth a look.

With Marantz, anything built after 1992 or so that's got some heft is worthwhile. If you come across a CD-80, grab it.

I'd try to stay away from Denons; my experience has been they're more likely than others to fail.

As always, just my opinion, YMMV.

Happy trails,
Larry B.

give technics a go

i am very happy with my technics after going though alot of players

my one is a sl-ps840

The problem with CD players that old is the life of the laser has expired and most of the lasers are no longer available. You are buying a future boat anchor. You can still buy Chinese knock offs of the Sony KSS210A and KSS313 lasers and a couple others, but some of those knock offs are crap and it is impossible to tell which ones are good. There are no replacements for Philips swing arm lasers at all so avoid any unit that uses a Philips laser. You can look up pretty much any player ever made to see what laser it used, here: http://www.26fun.com/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=206821
The Onkyo DX-1800 is a very good player, uses a Sony KSS210A laser, and if you upgrade the opamps in it you will get high end sound out of it.

What dr*audio said is true, but I think it still may be worth it to take a chance on a Sony X7 series player if you can find one in good shape. The lasers used in most of these models have very long lifetimes.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-CDP-X7.html

Mark

They use a KSS-272A laser, no longer available. Don't spend much on one of these players. This is what really pulls my chain. People are selling these older players for upwards of $100. I don't care what they sold for originally, at 15 years the laser is at EOL and you are just blowing money on something that will run a few months and die, if it is still working when it arrives. I have 3 Onkyo Integra players. They were wonderful machines but the lasers are all kaput and no longer available. I keep them in case I ever find the time to try to adapt them for newer lasers but frankly it is cheaper (if one considers one's time is worth money) to buy a newer player with an available laser and buy spares of that laser, which I have done.

The big bad Denons are usually very solid, and in my experience the only thing that does fail is the belts that open/close the tray. Very solidly built.

DCD 1500II/1520/1650/3520/3560 were all very solid players...as the numbers get higher, they get more expensive thought.

The Denon DVD-5000 is also something to consider- same flagship build quality as one of the DCD-35XX CD players, but sells for much less as it was a DVD/CD player!

The big bad Denons are usually very solid, and in my experience the only thing that does fail is the belts that open/close the tray. Very solidly built.

DCD 1500II/1520/1650/3520/3560 were all very solid players...as the numbers get higher, they get more expensive thought.

The Denon DVD-5000 is also something to consider- same flagship build quality as one of the DCD-35XX CD players, but sells for much less as it was a DVD/CD player!

The Denon DCD-1650GL used a KSS150A laser, replaceable with a KSS210A. As for the other models the lasers are no longer available.

I just bought an as new used Emotiva ERC-2, it's not vintage but the sound is amazing, of course you won't get one for $100.00 but it is going to last a long time and as dr audio said you just don't know with these older units how much life they have left.

No affiliation.

They use a KSS-272A laser, no longer available. Don't spend much on one of these players. This is what really pulls my chain. People are selling these older players for upwards of $100. I don't care what they sold for originally, at 15 years the laser is at EOL and you are just blowing money on something that will run a few months and die, if it is still working when it arrives. I have 3 Onkyo Integra players. They were wonderful machines but the lasers are all kaput and no longer available. I keep them in case I ever find the time to try to adapt them for newer lasers but frankly it is cheaper (if one considers one's time is worth money) to buy a newer player with an available laser and buy spares of that laser, which I have done.

You would be very lucky to get one of these in working condition for $100. From what I have seen they are still selling for quite a bit more than that. Ebay prices for working 777ES, 779ES, 707ES etc. players are $500-1000.

I wouldn't hesitate to take a chance on one of these for $100, as long as it was working.

Mark

Look into purchasing a Rotel CD player. I have the RCD-950 and judge it to be both musical and accurate.

Thanks to everyone for all the great responses, I am almost convinced to buy new unless a real good deal comes up on a working second hand one.

Just one question about the life span of the laser. Does the laser's life depend on how much it is used or do they only last so long time wise even if they havent been used that much over its lifetime?

I have a yamaha CDx1100U that I bought here back in 2006 or so.

Paid far too much for it, and it's flaky, at best. Still works, just has very random WTF moments from time to time.

Does it sound good? Oh yeah, but still, new is the way to go, UNLESS you find something dirt cheap. If so, go for it.

Thanks to everyone for all the great responses, I am almost convinced to buy new unless a real good deal comes up on a working second hand one.

Just one question about the life span of the laser. Does the laser's life depend on how much it is used or do they only last so long time wise even if they havent been used that much over its lifetime?

It is strictly the hours of playing time. The laser is rated for a certain number of hours, I forget how many.

It is strictly the hours of playing time. The laser is rated for a certain number of hours, I forget how many.

Does it depend on the laser?
I'd be curious to know about the laser in my old Sony. I think it's the KS210A. That player got a lot of use over the years, but it's still going. It lives in my garage system now, and except for the odd CD-R it plays everything I throw at it. And it lives in a climate that swings from -35c to +35c.
It's not built like a tank, but it acts like one.

Does it depend on the laser?
I'd be curious to know about the laser in my old Sony. I think it's the KS210A. That player got a lot of use over the years, but it's still going. It lives in my garage system now, and except for the odd CD-R it plays everything I throw at it. And it lives in a climate that swings from -35c to +35c.
It's not built like a tank, but it acts like one.

All I can tell you is from my experience the Sony lasers last longer than any others and the Philips are the worst.

I have two Nakamichi CD Player 2s that keep giving me the “err” message.

I was going to pony up the $75.00 diagnostic fee and have one looked at, but after reading this thread I’ll invest in a newer player. Thanks for the heads up on this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom