Older SS Fisher receivers........

whelen2

I've been hanging out here recently and also doing a little searching on the forums. One thing that puzzles me just a little is the lack of talk about older Fisher SS receivers and amps. It seems to be all Sansui, Pioneer, Harman Kardon, Marantz, Kenwood, Sherwood and yada, yada, yada. Almost nothing about Fisher! Back when a bunch of us Vietnam era guys were buying our gear to ship home there were a few that bought Fisher gear and it was pretty popular then. Not as much as Sansui, Pioneer, but still very respectable. If my memory serves me it seemed to have more of a warmer tone. A friend back then had a Sansui receiver hooked up to some honker Sansui speakers. Another friend just brought back a Fisher receiver , but had no speakers. Yup, we hooked the Fisher up to the honker Sansui speakers and she sounded very nice. We switched back and forth using the same settings on both receivers and the Fisher still sounded smoother. When I hit the sack those two were still arguing which receiver sounded the best. So, my question is this, why is there so little interest in Fisher SS gear. JohnW

Just picked up a Fisher 800t model today.... sat around in a house in Detroit for years ... pods are a bit scratchy .... dont know of a good product for cleaning. Plugged her in and wow... 100 w per channel and kickin strong .... came into a Magnavox 1500 ss with four ext. speakers ... hooked the mag ... CTS speakers into the Fisher ... freaking cats went running at 3 on the volume control ..... Going to have a good look inside .... but wow .... sounds fantastic.

I love Fisher receivers. Im trying to get my hands on an RS-1060 or an RS-1080. I dont know about the other Fisher receivers, but the RS 10xx series are nice. I used to have a RS-1052 and loved the sound.

sometime in the early 70's fisher was sold to emerson electric and then a few years later to sanyo. the early fisher solidstate was like all other early solidstate stuff not that great sounding compared to the tube stuff it replaced and not that reliable even though it was built on a big heavy chassis like the tube gear it replaced.

the emerson/fisher though built in USA for the most part was not well regarded. they cheapened the line and headed towards midfi.

then when sanyo took over and moved production to japan it became just another midfi brand. sanyo has produced a few good sounding pieces but they have never been able to shake that midfi reputation long enough for audiophiles to really give them a chance.

i personally own about 10 fisher solidstate units and they are all the american made ones. i have them just because of my love affair with audio gear thats made in USA and for the geek factor of it being early SS stuff. i wouldnt consider running any of that old SS stuff unless its been gone through and fully checked out.

Older Fisher receivers...

I wholeheartly agree that Fisher Receivers are underappreciated! I have a 250T with pushbutton tune-o-matic station presets... 1968 as far as I can tell. Anyway it is a great sounding receiver. My wife doesn't know audio but she knows what she likes! I, like most of you, am always dragging another GW audio rescue into the house. To her this was just another peice of junk... until I cleaned it up and played it. She stopped what she was doing and just listened. She started describing the sound using audiofile terms without knowing that's what they were. She wanted to play her favorite CD's and started pulling out stuff she hadn't listened to in years. I put it into our bedroom set-up, she played Rod Stewert all night and... well let's just say I owe Mr. Stewert... big time!

That Fisher is now our referance receiver. My Sansui 9900Z, Concept 2.5, Techniques, Sanyo JCX 2600, Assorted Poineers (450 to 780) and even my Outlaw seperates have to justify themselves against the Fisher. And of course all of my assorted speakers have to take thier turn dancing with the Fisher. Anyway that 250T Fisher has my vote as a great little receiver and I have got to believe the bigger ones are even better. Sorry about the spelling errors. It's late, I'm tired but I just had to post on this one.

I wholeheartly agree that Fisher Receivers are underappreciated! I have a 250T with pushbutton tune-o-matic station presets... 1968 as far as I can tell. Anyway it is a great sounding receiver. My wife doesn't know audio but she knows what she likes! I, like most of you, am always dragging another GW audio rescue into the house. To her this was just another peice of junk... until I cleaned it up and played it. She stopped what she was doing and just listened. She started describing the sound using audiofile terms without knowing that's what they were. She wanted to play her favorite CD's and started pulling out stuff she hadn't listened to in years. I put it into our bedroom set-up, she played Rod Stewert all night and... well let's just say I owe Mr. Stewert... big time!

That Fisher is now our referance receiver. My Sansui 9900Z, Concept 2.5, Techniques, Sanyo JCX 2600, Assorted Poineers (450 to 780) and even my Outlaw seperates have to justify themselves against the Fisher. And of course all of my assorted speakers have to take thier turn dancing with the Fisher. Anyway that 250T Fisher has my vote as a great little receiver and I have got to believe the bigger ones are even better. Sorry about the spelling errors. It's late, I'm tired but I just had to post on this one.

Holy sheet! All night!!!!:thmbsp: I used to go all night, but now it takes me all night just to get going and by that time it's to late. I guess I'm going to have to hunt up one of those Fisher T250's for our bedroom and see how it works for me.

I've got a 500TX (same thing with AUTO scan, and 4 presets) in the bedrrom doing double duty as my headphone amp and the DVD amp. Wife likes it because of the presets and she actually figured out the controls on her own. Just like the tube stuff, she's comfortable with it. If she's not, nobody is. So most of the running stuff on the main level is FISHER Tube, HYBRID, and S.S. I have one PIONEER running the H.T. setup in the living room. And thats a QX-9900. She has NO CLUE as to turning it on.

Larry

Back
Top Bottom