Ole Heathkit question

grumpy

Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma
Staff member
Admin
Sponsor
Subscriber
Can anyone tell me about the Heathkit W5A amp. I have a chance to buy one and the matching Preamp also. I know its a Mono amp but how do these sound compared to other Tube amp of the day.

Grumpy

Don't know if the W5A is similar to a W5M, but if it is, I can tell you a bit about it. The W5M has excellant Peerless output transformers, a nice Williamson circuit, and all iron is shielded. This amp has no hum. It does have a couple of problems. The power transformer runs to hot, and they are known to self destruct far to often. The Peerless output transformer is rated for about half the power the amp can put out, so caution is in order. The problem with the power transformer can be fixed by re-arranging the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. The first stage has 20 mFd, which is way to high. The 5R4 is only rated for 4 mFd. Change this and add extra to the stage following the choke and the transformer runs much cooler.
BTW, the sound of this amp is excellent!
Now, if only someone could tell us if the W5A is similar to a W5M.
Dave:)

HG Man

Thanks. I was wondering if the seller gave me the wrong model number myself. He did mention that it says WIlliamson on it. Aside from that i know very little. Guess I will have to wait till this weekend to find out.

Grumpy

BTW, I own one of these amps. I converted the 12AU7 drivers to 6CG7's, and converted the KT66 outputs to EL34's. This is the best sounding amp I've ever heard. I wish I could stumble on to another sometime. Ebay has driven the price of these up to beyond my means.
Dave

Back
Top Bottom