Olson Speakers?

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by janikphoto, May 13, 2013.

1. janikphoto

janikphoto Lunatic Member

Anyone have info on these? I don't "need" them, but they seem pretty cool. However, I don't want to bring in something on the level of a Utah speaker. Anyone know the quality on these? Ebay search shows the majority of Olson speakers selling pretty cheap.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/3791061487.html

[​IMG]

Please register to disable this ad.

2. pilotputz

pilotputz Super Member

Those look like re-branded Utahs to me.
    Might make decent guitar speakers.
    With the boxes I'd say they're worth about what he's asking.

3. janikphoto

janikphoto Lunatic Member

Yeah, I did some basic reading on Olson in general... an importer that re-branded various stereos and speakers.

4. 1tumbleweed

1tumbleweed Kozmik Kowboy Subscriber

Well...not exactly. Olson was a catalog house, similar to Lafayette, Allied and Radio Shack, in Ohio. They sold a lot of house brand stuff, but also carried Trusonic, Utah, Pioneer, Jensen and even AR!

Your speakers are likely an import with Olson's name. Maybe a bit better than Utah, but not dramatically so.

5. nexus

nexus Super Member

i remember Olson had a section in a local dept. store and that was my first intro to home stereo. i heard the big BIC Venturi 6 there.....though it was very boomy but i had been spoiled by fantastic big monitors in the studios.

bought my first Pioneer Integrated amp there..20w per channel. Whoopee!

Olson had coaxial speakers that were lame but i thought i could get a sound like the monitors which appeared to me to have 'coaxial' speakers....i was ignorant. Altec 604s are a galaxy apart!

Olson was 'cheap 'n cheerful' in the beginning but eventually became a very negative place...

6. Rex Runner

Rex Runner BANG THY HEAD THAT WILL NOT BANG Subscriber

I recently purchased an Olson tube amplifier with a car load of stuff. Did Olson sell "anything" good? Anyone?

7. C6Bill

C6Bill AK Subscriber Subscriber

My first decent stereo was bought in the PX on the Navy base my father had been stationed at, it was a Pioneer SX-something, PL-540 turntable and a set of Olson speakers. I've heard worse speakers over the year but I have also heard a whole bunch that were better lol

Found this pic online a while back, not my pair but the same model

Vintage-Olson-Speakers-3-Way-Speaker-System-579-acoustic.jpg

8. Rex Runner

We're the cabs solid? Real veneer?

9. Rex Runner

image.jpg image.jpg Not a bad looking amp per say. But the build quality is something to be desired. Sitting on the bench now waiting for a re cap.

10. Rex Runner

I just purchased a pair of Olson s-777 3 ways to mate with it. Anyone ever own a pair ?

11. C6Bill

C6Bill AK Subscriber Subscriber

I believe it was real wood veneer and I remember they had some weight to them but the one thing I remember most about them was the scratchy pots on the mids, and they came that way lol

12. Rex Runner

Fortunately pots can be remedied. The S-777,s are large 3 ways with a horn. Read somewhere the magnet structures are impressive. Should be efficient being built in the 60,s.

13. tom3

tom3 Super Member

I'd be real happy with that amp and the speakers too. I'd guess Olson was like most other places then (and today) that you get what you pay for. Keep us posted on the amp project. That's interesting!

That Olson outfit might have been close by your location back in the day. Seems like they were out of Akron? Ahh, the heart of it all.

14. Catmanboo

Catmanboo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes, olson was once located on forge st. in akron. The last electronic supply store, Philcap electronics, on east market st, closed several years ago. End of an era. They had an antique radio & rv museum in the store, real neat stuff! Even had several models I have/had myself.
    Akron also had Sun Radio co. Old-line electronic supply house. Their catalog, a hard-bound book, rivaled some dictionaries in size. I still have one, for historical reference.

15. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Super Member

If the Olson you are talking about was related to the large Olson Electronics store in Chicago, a store every bit as impressive as Allied's Chicago store, most of their store-brand electronic items carried the "Herald" name and logo. I have some small Herald X-air type speakers I bought in the summer of 1970. I don't recall their selling electronics with an actual "Olson" name on them, but they might have. My dad was on the mailing list for both their and Allied's catalogs and flyers, and we made pilgrimages to each of the stores a couple of times per year throughout my childhood.

16. Rex Runner

image.jpg image.jpg Here is a tube amp branded "Olson".

electronjohn likes this.

17. tom3

tom3 Super Member

That's a work of art. I'd guess it's real busy under the covers. If you get into it take and post some pictures. Interesting.

18. Rex Runner

image.jpg I was not impressed with the build.

19. Rex Runner

Simple tube layout. 4 outputs. 2 pre amp. 1 rectifier

20. Rex Runner