On a Roll, nother score, jbl, sony !!!

Punker X

Staff member
Subscriber
Went by a garage sale this afternoon and saw some black box speakers with a red logo in the corner.

Whipped real quick and found a pair of JBL 4312B's will matching stands and some monster cable.

Then they told me the rest of the equipment was in the garage.

Sitting there was a Sony C85ES CD carousel and matching dual Sony TC-WR97ES dual cassette deck.

Also walked away with a box of records, that included some original stones and kinks.

Two good scores in a month and I wasn't even looking hard. Just been stopping here and there on a whim.

X

Lucky Dawg !

You still aint said how you like the JBL's.

Originally posted by grumpy
Lucky Dawg !

You still aint said how you like the JBL's.

I like them a lot, but not as much as I like my Ohm's. Always seems JBL's highs are a little stinging. Just guess I love that east coast sound.

I'm not going to listen to these too much, they may just grow on me. This was purely investment and will be listed on Ebay this weekend. Somebody is going to get a mint pair, these were really well taken care of.

The CD player was a little flakey at first, but the more I use it the better its getting, think the grease on the tracks was hardened. Haven't had a skip all morning.

The tape deck works perfect and it's a beast, has so many fuctions and features, it's unreal.

Again no room here for 80's/90's black equipment. They will be going to the bay also.

Like Echowars and his search for the matching high end Kenwood tuner, I've been really jonesing for a Marantz 2130. Yes I going to pay stupid money for a tuner. At least the tuner is the most used item in my system and I can all most justify it.

X

Originally posted by Punker X
About a 1/10 of what they went for new..

X

i saw a set of advent heritage speakers last month real nice shape.they wanted way to much for a garage sale.if i pick something up at a sale,it is going to be mine to keep.i seem to read about so meny people selling what they just bought to make a dime.just my .02

There is nothing wrong with making a dime. I sell most of what I find at garage sales, but I end up using most of that money to buy better equipmenmt for myself.

Don I agree with you. If you have the good fortune to actually find something worth some money and it's not what you really want. Why not sell it and buy what you really want.

The only place I really need some speakers is in the garage and some outdoor speakers for the Patio. These JBL are too nice to use either way. Since I don't need them, and there are a couple of quite expensive peices I want, why not sell them and put the funds toward the dream system.

This country was founded on making a buck. You can't fault anyone for trying to make a few off a good find. If you don't agree go move to Russia, hey wait.. everyone there is trying to make a buck also.. gotta remember it's not the 80's...

X

Just an update...

The JBL's are going to Los Vegas.. Sold with a Buy it Now for way more than I expected.

The Sony ES changer is a keeper. The old trusty Rotel is being retired. The Rotel has always had problems tracking on heavily scratched CD's. The Sony is just wizzing right through my worse CD's. Of coarse the most scratched CD's were my favorites. So I'm listening to some of my favorite music again.

The tape deck is bound for Ebay soon. Needed to make sure everything works. It has so many features it took a while to figure them out without the manual.

I have a 2130 with a wood case inbound now. Worked out a deal with guy over on Audiogon. The JBL's are paying for about 80% of it.

X

Its cool you sold the JBL`s so fast. Just outta curiosity, what`dya get for em` ?? I`m thinking of selling my 4311`s via ebay. Mine are in about as good a shape as the pair you have (had).

John

WOW !! I`d say you did pretty well. Those are some very nice looking examples tho- I`m sure having the stands did`nt hurt either :)

You run a good auction there X, good info and great pics.

J

I'll be real happy when I get paid..

Not sure if the stands had anything to do with it. Not sure if they are JBL or not. Look pretty much like any stand that you can pick up anywhere. Other than the bases were the same foot print as the speaker.

X

Punk, I would've done the same thing. Sell them for a lot and keep on listening to that East Coast sound. Good deal for you. Those Jaybell's sting me up top too. All of them. To clarify my remark, this is MY OPINION. Nobody elses. The JBL freaks don't have to take offense. To my ears, JBL's do not do justice to acoustic instruments. They make electric guitars sound great, but not contrabassoons. Many years ago, I felt the East Coast sound did the reverse. Much too polite to be a good rock speaker. Then I was able to afford enough power to PROPERLY drive a good acoustic suspension design, and fell in love.

Almond, Toasted/MSgt, USAF

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom