On and Off FM on SX-828

tankdonovan

Senior AK Member
SX-828
In the last few days while listening to FM it just goes out. No sound, no signal. When I move the dial the signal meter and tuning meter does not move. I`ll cut it off and back on a few times and it will start to work again with a very strong signal. Sometimes it takes only a short while, other tiimes it takes longer to come back on. It`s out right now. Been over an hour this time. Don`t think it`s coming back this time. :worried: Phone, tape, aux still work. Just FM out.

Anyone else had this problem? Am I in for big trouble? Kinda sounds like it.

TankDonovan

P.S. Back on again, very strong signal!

Last edited:
antenna leads securly attached? Possible rf amp problms. try a little freeze spray in the rf amp when fm's out and see what happens. Don't use much, just a spritz.

I would say to check the wires going to the FM board for a bad solder joint. Have you cleaned the selector switch with DeoXit.

Ron

Tank, could be capacitors on the tuner board going bad and needs replacing. Same thing happened with my SX-1010-repaired and working fine now.

Ben

I just finished cleaning the selector switch and the antenna leads. Made sure the leads where secure. At the present it is working great. If it goes back out again I`ll look for a bad FM board solder joint. I`m not sure I know what you mean by rf amp and the spraying it with freeze spray. I hope it`s not the capacitors. They sounds like money.

Thanks for the info Pioneer 727, oldhifiguy and vsam8.

TankDonovan

Last edited:
the rf amp is what's inside the shielded section next to the tunning capacitors. It's what amplifies the microvolts of rf signal from the antenna. freeze spray will cool things down abit, transistors, caps, resistors, changing operation abit. If your trouble is component degradation in the rf amp this could isolate where it's coming from. But there's also the IF amp section and multiplex section which could be in trouble.

oldhifiguy,
I understand what you are saying. It might help find the problem. It could be most anything in the FM section. Right now it is still working. I`m sure it will happen again.

TankDonovan

When the FM went out, did the AM go out as well? If so, check the regulator transistors (the ones with metal tabs on them, they might have small aluminum heatsinks as well) on th power supply board. Look at the solder connections on the bottom of the board, Often these transistors desolder themselves from heat. You can see a dark ring or gap arount the lead of the transistor, or the solder joint looks grainy instead of shiny. All you have to do is resolder the joints.
If only the FM went out, it was probably the selector switch and cleaning it should fix it.

dr*audio

I really didn`t think about checking the AM. If it goes out again I`ll check all you suggested. Maybe I`ll be luckey and the selector switch[I have already cleaned] will be the problem. Thanks for your info.

TankDonovan

Back
Top Bottom