On the resistors that came with my unbuilt Eico pre. Should I bake them.

drtool

It might get loud In Houston
Subscriber
I was thinking of putting them in a 125 oven and then checking the Ohm value once cooled. My 2 mono block Hf22's only 3 resistors were out of speck.

You can also use a heat gun and test them while hot to check their variance.

Just throw them out and use good resistors. Carbon comps are junk, with the sort-of exception of a very few high-end brands like Allen Bradley. The ones in an Eico kit are pretty much guaranteed to be crap.

I was thinking Eico used some good ones Sam. Out of 40+ restors in my HF22s only 3 were out of speck. I see a lot of German made resistors in them. Brice just for my own info I will try that.

I think you are getting some solid advice here. I always wonder why people ask for advice and then balk at taking it from some very experienced posters.

I have to go along with the use new crowd. Even RS film resistors are better than old CC. They're rated 5% and most all I've checked are more like 2 or 3%. Pretty much all I use.

My (long ago) results with baking carbon composition resistors weren't very successful. It's just a lousy technology compared to anything today, unless you need ultra low inductance for RF circuits. Even then, modern parts are good to tens of MHz or better, at which point you have to go surface mount anyway. Use decent metal films, or even carbon films and have peace of mind.

Just throw them out and use good resistors. Carbon comps are junk, with the sort-of exception of a very few high-end brands like Allen Bradley. The ones in an Eico kit are pretty much guaranteed to be crap.

Actually that's not necessarily so. Some EICOs of that era were supplied with Rosenthal carbon film resistors. These are high quality German made units that can be identified by the crown logo printed on them. IME, they're almost always on value, quiet and sound great to the extent that quality resistors have a sound. Personally, I'd be very reluctant to replace the Rosenthals with the majority of modern film resistors available from the usual sources.

FWIW, another vintage resistor worth keeping are the red bodied Beyschlag carbon films found in many mid/late 60s Fisher products. These too are of German origin and just like the Rosenthals are almost always on value, quiet and sound good.

Just order full new set from Mouser or Digi-key. Get all metal film ones. Make sure they are rated to proper voltage (usually you have to use 1 or 2W just because of higher voltage vs. 0.25 and 0.5W)

Back
Top Bottom