Once I was blind....

Matt Lafayette

But now I see...
Got a call from Dave Simpson this afternoon. He was at one of our local Flea's and happened upon a Marantz 2238 in A1 condition for $150 Cdn. Being the proud owner of a 2285 he suggested he pick up the '38 for me. Now for those who know me through my posts you know I'm a Garage sale guy first and foremost. I generally don't pay Flea-Market prices, Dave however tried mightily to impress upon me what a deal he had found. I was hesitant but after some negotiations with the warden I called him back and said I'd be there in 20 mins.
Long and short of it is this: The thing was in near mint condition both aesthetically and functionally, Perfect actually in terms of functionality. The face plate reads 2252 but as the vendor explained a previous owner had swapped out face plates for an unknown reason.
In the end I brokered a deal which brought my cost down from $150 to $120 CDN and man it's the best money I ever spent.
Thanks Dave! Good eye!

Last edited:
Here's a long shot showing the retired units beneath the mighty Marantz! Man this things got punch, Dave and I spent the afternoon at my place listening to various LP's and I feel I've got at least $700-$1000 worth of sound (in today's terms) coming out of a $120 receiver.
You Marantz guys were right. But I'm glad I progressed to the Marantz the long way or I might not have appreciated what I have here now:D
Matt

Nice - better be careful or before you know it your house will look like Grumps's :D

Very nice looking unit :)

Now you have two systems :D - one for the bedroom and one for the living room.

Chris

Hey gang, gettin' Matt out to our local flea was somewhat less difficult than he has indicated (some dudes require only a gentle, friendly push :D ), and once he set eyes on the 2238, I knew my work was done. These things practically sell themselves! I'm at the point now where I can't really understand why anyone would want to spend big $$$ on a contemporary two-channel rig, when the vintage gear, in proper working order, offers such a huge price:performance ratio.
Glad to have you aboard, Matt! :beerchug: Now, where's my bread?? ;) Cheers!

DS.

Dave;

"Hey gang, gettin' Matt out to our local flea was somewhat less difficult than he has indicated (some dudes require only a gentle, friendly push ), and once he set eyes on the 2238, I knew my work was done. "

Yes, your work is done with this one, now move on as there are many more poor souls yet to help see the light

;)

Lefty

Back
Top Bottom