One agitated beast.

Alobar

Addicted Member
The following has been going on here at my rural Alaskan home for the past few days. A mother moose and twin calves has taken up residence at my place and it has put a real damper on any outdoor activities here. It beds down right in the yard at night and is here for most of the day too. The mother is not happy, maybe at motherhood itself, but more likely is upset with our Aussie dog who barks at it if it gets too close. It has gotten to where if we even go outside to the car we get charged by it, with hair raised on its back and a weird growling sound, and if there isn't a place to duck into, that moose could easily kill by stomping you! Mind you it is as big as a large horse! We have tried a few things to get it to move on but nothing has worked.

Today the conflict was escalated when I went outside to work on the boat. This time I took my 44 magnum with as a last ditch defense plan. Well it was down the hill and across the road about 100 yds away so I figured I would be safe enough to get something done. Before too long here she comes running up the driveway straight towards me and the dog. I drew the gun and fired twice in the air, at which point she skidded to a stop and walked off back down the hill towards her calfs. Now my dog, being shy around guns is very upset and scared and my ears are ringing like I was front seat at a Foreigner concert.. Damn!

If this year is like most others it wont be long before a bear will move into the neighborhood and then there will be just one calf, and usually after that the moose are gone. I hate to say it but I am looking forward to the brown bears coming in for the feast!

If you have one of those tiny refrigerators with a small freezer section, you may consider this crazy idea.
The next time any bears come around collect some bear scat and freeze it for next year when you get any moose.
I am not sure if the moose will avoid area with bear droppings in the area.
The same with any wolf pee that you may come across in the area.
Collect the leaves and or bark and then freeze for an other time.
Just a thought.

For right now I would suggest getting a long garden hose and a strong sprinkler that shoots out far.
Perhaps you can rig it to be turned on just around the corner from the moose bedding area.
If you had the store to get these items I would suggest a motion detector setup that would turn on the water when it sensed any thing in the area,
with perhaps a 1-2 minute timer of some type.

Or perhaps some lights and music, or a tape of some animal noises. Also setup with a motion detector.

I wonder if you setup your speakers on the porch and start cranking some Ted Nugent albums. How about starting...

I was thinking Nazareth: Hair of the Dog!~ Now you're messin with a.. a SOB! :rant:
Or Queen: Another one bites the dust..

Some good ideas here. The sprinkler is great. Lots of people use electric fences around their gardens but it isn't the garden I am worried about right now but our safety.. My wife picked up a little air horn for me to blast, but looks more like a toy to me. She wasn't thrilled when I told her about touching off a couple rounds from the 44 while she was in town, :bigok: but I think it was the most effective thing I have done so far because an hour ago that big momma was walking up the drive like she lives here and saw me out by the Jeep and decided to turn around and leave.. :rolleyes:

I think it was the most effective thing I have done so far because an hour ago that big momma was walking up the drive like she lives here

She does, and she's telling you so. I think with the calves she knows she's a bit safer around people till they get older. There will be less predators around a populated area.

But your right that Moose are huge and really don't give a crap about people unless they are shooting. Otherwise they look at you as a little peon that they can kill or intimidate.:eek:

does, and she's telling you so. I think with the calves she knows she's a bit safer around people till they get older. There will be less predators around a populated area

This is true. This sometimes happens with black bear sow and Cubs. The predators in that case are male bears that will kill the cubs.

First morning in several days where the moose are nowhere around. I think the gunfire might have done the trick!
Here is a terrible cellphone picture my wife texted me of the three of them out in the yard yesterday. Was pouring down rain all day.
All very cute and cuddly till you get charged just trying to bring in groceries from the car!
Resized_20170521_092022_003.jpeg

44 mag without hearing protection. Twice! Ouch.

My brother shot next to me at the range years ago before I got a chance to put my ear muffs on. Cripes! Once was enough!

Yeah, and I'm one who wont even cut a 2x4 with the Skillsaw without hearing protection. I usually carry a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull with full house loads for protection from the big animals but with a 2.6" barrel that thing really barks! I had the 44 mag out yesterday because I had no intention of shooting a cow moose with calves (just a few shots in the air) and didn't want to destroy my hearing for a month!

The ringing is subsiding already.. o_O

This "sonic" solution might work. There's a bear deterrent product that you can get which will allow you to project the sound where you want to place it.

Q
I think the 44 might have done it. She came back once and saw me in the yard and split and has not been back since. She probably has set up the nursery in someone else's yard. .

Back
Top Bottom