1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

One channel comes up first

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by CopperWizard, Aug 11, 2018.

1. CopperWizard

CopperWizard Well-Known Member

I have a Magnavox 8601-20 amp where after power is applied, the left channel comes up first from the speaker, then 2 seconds later the right channel. Everything sounds great. Just wondering if this is normal and why?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. s-petersen

s-petersen Scott Subscriber

Try swapping tubes, it could be normal as some tubes take a little longer.

CopperWizard likes this.
  3. primosounds

primosounds Powered with pure tube sounds. Subscriber

Yeah, i agree with SP, seems like a tube issue. Could be a noisy tube is making itself known ahead of the others.

4. thorpej

thorpej Super Member

...or one of the power tubes is weak and it's cathode doesn't start emitting until it's almost completely warmed up. If it's not one of the output tubes, it could be a weak side in the voltage amp tube as well.

5. Dave451

Dave451 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Had the same thing happen with a couple of voltage/tone control 12AX7's. Both new production. One was a little 'colder blooded' than the other and came up to volume a couple seconds slower, but after that all was fine. Wouldn't worry about it if it were mine unless there are uneven levels side-to-side after warmup or any noise.

6. CopperWizard

CopperWizard Well-Known Member

Update: I switched the power tubes around and it followed the tube. They were both tested recently and were at 80%. They are Sylvania black plate 6bq5. I'm not going to worry about it as Dave suggested. Thanks for the replies fellow AKer's!

Please register to disable this ad.

7. GordonW

GordonW Speakerfixer Subscriber

If it was more than 10 seconds differential, I'd be concerned about a weak or dying tube.

2 seconds is completely within the realm of "absolutely normal".

Regards,
    Gordon.

Celt likes this.