One does not simply walk into a room of 60 year old house and paint.

Discussion in 'Non-audio related DIY' started by RickeyM, Dec 18, 2018.

1. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

"It's good for what ails ya!" -Asbestos Salesmen, apparently.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

It was one of the various magic materials that later turned out to be very bad for you. I remember watching a documentary on Victorian houses, apparently the green dye used in some of the fancy wallpaper was arsenic based, and it would off-gas and slowly poison people in the house. At least the asbestos is harmless unless disturbed.

3. teal'c

teal'c Moomber Subscriber

About a mile from my grandmother's house they bought in '23.

4. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier Subscriber

Small world. This was at 12637 Hamburg, south of McNichols. Last time I checked, it was part of the Detroit Land Bank. So in other words, demolition is in the future. As of August it was still standing, but all the windows that aren't boarded up are busted out. Used to have a beautiful leaded glass window on the driveway side, 9 ft. ceilings, nice woodwork throughout. (Although like any old house, they painted over everything, including those old pushbutton light switches.) The coal chute would be the first basement window closest to the front of the house, where the bicycle is standing.'' The dormer is showing the old asphalt faux "bricks" which covered the house. It was sided apparently after my dad sold it. I'm thinking it's vinyl siding since, as you know, aluminum siding is usually stripped off of these houses (along with the furnaces, for the scrap metal).

I still remember back in the early 80s when they painted that house the ugly yellow color next door...

upload_2019-1-10_17-24-53.png