One for the computer gurus

Wardsweb

Behind The Curtain
Staff member
Admin
What is the name of the file windows uses to redirect URL's. We use it at work to redirect company URL's to our intranet. I think some malicious code added something to that file that's giving me a popup but only when I go to AK. I've already cleared the startup folders and edited the run/runonce/runoncex folder in the registry.

I don't know the answer to the question you asked, but I would suggest getting Lavasoft ad aware. There is a freeware version available for download, its easy to find, just go to http://www.lavasoft.de
This program will probably clear up your problem. Ad Aware gets my highest reccomendation, it is on every computer that I use, and I have put it on several others as well. It just checks your computer for ad loading programs and junk like that. It doesn't start automaticaly, or mess up your computer, I swear. It just gets rid of the stuff that you don't want, that's all.

only spam blocker sort of stuff i use is the popup blocker on the Google toolbar and spybot search and destory for spyware. together, they filter out quite a bit.

I already run Adaware 6.0, Norton 2002 and Netscape 7 has a built in popup stopper. I'm trying to find where the file is that's doing this on my computer. It's not actually poping up but I get a icon at the bottom of my screen telling me it's being stopped.

Wardsweb, Does this do it off clicking on a "favorites"? Have you tried manual entry into the address bar and does it, or copy and paste the link to see if the address pasted is changed? Just a couple thoughts. Maybe your stored link is messed up.
I use the freeware version of ad aware and am very pleased with it, also panicware's freeware pop up stopper. I got them off the cnet download.com site. Hard to beat free and good!

Carl

Back
Top Bottom