One Hit Wonder Hall of Fame

I can't back you up, here man. All due respect to Jancik, and even eliminating Big Brother, sometimes numbers don't tell the story. Her albums sold better than her singles and she charted well on the US R&B, too. I those days, if I bought a single, I'd hide it. Not cool. Were they even available?

The 70's was the decade of decline of 45's but were available and needed for jukeboxes ..I remember buying 45's through the 70's no problem. Re-issue 45's are available for collectors.
I have a 45 by 10 years after and Janis Joplin in my collection.

The one hit wonder is not about 45's , although they dominate , it's about Billboards rating.

I would recommend getting a copy of this book, your library may have this or can get this.

I was implying that Billboard is not the only charting system and was not required by the OP. It is so counterintuitive to think that Joplin, The Grateful Dead, and other Hall of Famers could be considered one hit wonders. Even R.E.M., Hendrix, and Van Morrison never topped Billboard's charts. I bet that book is cool, though.

Just my personal opinion but I think the true test of a one hit wonder would be lets take for instance 'Black Betty'.
Now can you name another song by 'Ram Jam'? If no than you have a definite one hit wonder.
If you have the album and still can't recall another tune, that's a double definite!
I have the Lighthouse album with 'One Fine Morning' and couldn't name another tune if you waterboarded me.

I agree with 2channel Billboard is not the only charts just the most popular. There are Blues,Country,R&B charts. These genres are not as popular as top 40 and rock.Some bands where huge but could barely crack billboards top 100 or 200. One poster put up Roy Clark and Tammy Wynette as one hitters But look at the Country charts and look at all their hits.I also agree with Can You Name A Second Song.

Just viewed the origin of Radiohead's song Creep.

It's autobiographical, the lead singer was stalking a girl in college.

The one time he was drunk enough to approach her, she rebuke him for being creepy.

We had the 45 of Seasons in the Son by Terry Jacks

On the B-side was a song that is arguably the worst song ever recorded.

Radiohead as a "one-hit-wonder" is a pretty tough sell ;)
Yeah...it's the only one of theirs I care to listen to.

And that point is made in the video I posted; Creep eclipsed the rest of their music in popularity, and it was detrimental to the band.

Back
Top Bottom