One hit wonders!

millerdog

The Mod Squad
I picked up a copy of Nicolette Larson's LP with her version of "Lotta Love." After a listen, I decided the LP is pretty good.
Same thing happened with the Aha cd. Remember "Take On Me?"
Then again there is the Level 42 cd with "Something About You" and the rest of the cd sucked;)
Indulge me and tell me about the one hit wonders that actually sounded good.

I'm not sure if they were one hit wonders or not but I have a Del Amitri CD that's wonderful from start to finish. "Twisted".

Great piece of work....I recognize one or two songs on the CD from some radio play it got some years back.

John

Rick Dees Disco Duck

Gloria Gaynor I will survive

Any album by Fred Neill,hung with Bob Dylan in Greenwich Village
I think he died penniless,wonderful albums,xcellent singer.

Alan

96 Tears - ? & the Mysterian's

Psychotic Reaction - Count 5

Apricot Brandy - Rhinoceros

Turning Japanese - The Vapors

Wipeout - The Surfaris

Talk, Talk - Music Machine

Radar Love - Golden Earring

Sleepwalk - Santo & Johnny

Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum

No Matter What Shape Your Stomach's In - The T-Bones

Dirty Water - The Standells

There's ABOUT a million, and you can't remember most until you hear them. Why is that?

Almond, Toasted/MSgt, USAF

Hope this reply finds you well MSgt. Almond.

"There's ABOUT a million, and you can't remember most until you hear them. Why is that?"

I been coming across this Baddorf and Rodney LP alot. Anyone remember what song they were famous for?

I'll be damned if that DOESN'T ring a bell! I remember it as Batdorf and Rodney, but can't remember the tune. We ARE talking 68-70 time frame if I'm not mistaken. Don't remember it being a hit though, but a local neighborhood favorite, yes. Like the Buzzy Linhart "You Got to Have Friends" song. Remember THAT one? Or how about....

The Dis-Advantages of You - The Brass Ring

It was the Benson & Hedges cigarette commercial theme. Turned out to be a minor hit, at least in N.Y.C.

Almond, Toasted/MSgt, USAF

Last edited:
personally i think nicholette larson was one of the best female rockers ever.. if you have never heard her do neils "lotta love" on (1979) no nukes album you are in for a treat. that one just drips with soul. what a great loss when she passed to the other side.

I really dug a lot of one hit wonders: "And We Danced" by the Hooters, "Always Something There To Remind Me" by Naked Eyes, "You Spin Me Round" by DOA, "Crying Over You" by Platinum Blonde... Hey, the 80's ruled, man!

Hey Rob both the Hooter's and Platinum Blonde had a lot more than one hit. Or at least here in Canada they did. In fact, Platinum Blonde was huge here during my high school days along with other Canadian bands like Honeymoon Suite etc..

Mike

Honeymoon Suite still rocks, their newest one, "Lemon Tongue", is one of their very best!

Platinum Blonde sold 5 million copies in the 80's, but I've been trying to get "Alien Shores" on CD for nearly 15 years! I simply can't find it thru any of my usual sources, not even import. Is there a secret stash of 'em I'm unaware of?

The Hooters had a couple that charted, "All You Zombies" was a minor hit. I love the entire "Nervous Night" album but didn't catch the follow up album.

I really thought A-Ha was cool back in the day, and I still occasionally listen to them. I think I like the pop music of the 80's a lot more now than I did back then. Back in the day I was a Head Banger- if it wasn't metal I didn't want to hear it. Except, curiously enough, that I also loved classical music, especially Romantic era and Baroque. Go figure.

A-Ha is still hugely popular in Europe from what I've heard. I have the Hooter's on Lp and I'll keep an eye open for Alien Shores on CD for you Rob. I'm sure there's copies available locally.

Mike

Rob,
not to nitpick, but Naked Eyes also had that song "Promises, Promises."
Anyone remember Donny Iris and "Ah Leah?" He was the front man for I think Wild Cherry. Hell for that matter "Play That Funky Music?":D

Hi:)

The Looking Glass

who, after having their one hit, turned into Starz. Used to open for Kiss.

Hiya Dube!!!!

yep. the same band.

They were always a rock band thru college, but when Elliot left, with his one big hit, the band returned to its true roots....good ole rock n' roll.
I still keep in touch with my old buds:p:

Adam Ants Goody Two Shoes. He had a couple of other minor hits but I think thats the only song people remember.

Back
Top Bottom