one lady owner

petehall347

the brandy coffee man
just seen a car advertised quoting this . i replied so it has been driven hard then ?
might just be around here i dont know . i drive fast but not that fast .

Means you should check the main bearings to determine how many times it was driven without oil.

Tim Allen bit (paraphrased):

"Didn't you see the oil light come on?"

"Well, yes."

"Why didn't you stop driving?"

"I figured if it was important, something else would happen next." :eek:

John

i have to hold my hands up to them lady drivers . have met a few on blind single lane corners and they are laughing when they pass in places that look impossible to get past .

Local guy that owns some hotels told us a story about his mom once... she was out driving in a nice 928 Porsche, and drove over something that less than surgically removed the oil pan. She ignored the dash lights and drove it home. At least that family could afford a new engine (or new Porsche, more likely).

John

Means you should check the main bearings to determine how many times it was driven without oil.

Tim Allen bit (paraphrased):

"Didn't you see the oil light come on?"

"Well, yes."

"Why didn't you stop driving?"

"I figured if it was important, something else would happen next." :eek:

John

I remember another of Tim's about the check engine light "but it wasn't getting any brighter"

once put a whole Porsche back together out of boxes . 927 targa top i seem to remember . everything stripped .engine too . manual said dial gauge needed for valve timing . we didn't have one so had to do be done by eye .tight tolerance so was easy . taking in overlap and all that stuff. only problem was that k jtrentonic fuel system . tried the 2b pencil lead as manufacture said to use but didnt work for me . was stupid fast but leaking lots of fuel .

Its code for "The car is 25 years old, has 125,000 miles on it, and the oil has been changed eight times. The dipstick has rusted off its handle. Its tires are 12 years old, and will come apart at any moment."

Reminds me of a a classified ad I saw for a car years ago--don't even remember what model--"only driven on Saturdays by a little old lady--to the track--blown motor $XXX" ;)

I might grant you that. I just can't confine bad maintenance or bad driving to one group of people because I've seen so much of it.

If you ever look around in cars at a junkyard, you can usually figure out who owned it. If the car reeks of cologne and there is a box of expired condoms in the glovebox, you can pretty much figure it out.

Best friend's family owned the local Porsche dealership, they custom ordered one of the first 930 turbos.
Mom said she couldn't figure out why everyone in the family would drive the car so fast, she said she usually just got it into 3rd gear and would drive it about 45 mph.
We later found out that she was looking at the tach (4500 rpm) and not the speedo - she'd been tooling around at extralegal velocities.

Around these parts it usually means it's had an oil change once every 10 years, the clutch is shot, as are the 2nd and 3rd gear syncros, and it's got one of those big foam steering wheel covers on it (usually pink).

Plenty of ignorance of vehicle care on either side of the gender divide... just couldn't resist citing a couple related examples out there in the world.

John

Back
Top Bottom