One last thing to address my freezing problem

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have decided to re-load the BIOS on my Motherboard. There have not been a BIOS update for my MoBo’s since May of 2015. The one I have loaded is from March of the same year. I have not loaded the May version because it only updated the USB bus for some gaming applications. In some of the gaming forums some people have fixed their Radeon problem doing this.

One of the reasons why I use ASUS MoBo’s is the ease and safe way you can load BIOS’s. The safe part is a backup copy of the BIOS is stored in a separate memory. The easy part is you download the BIOS into a flash drive. On the back of the MoBo there is a dedicated USB port. Plug the loaded flash drive in and push the button sitting next to it and about 45 seconds later it is done.

Talk about a sweaty palms, and Baboons. Got my new flash drive and downloaded the last Bios update for my ASUS MoBo. Unzipped it and tried to boot into the BIOS, No luck. I had the correct command F2 pressed during restart. The inner Baboon was coming to life. Than I realized my fancy DAS keyboard was not powered up until windows started to load????? Pulled out my El Cheapo brand keyboard that got me into the BIOS. Went to the EasyFlash console and loaded the new BIOS. Successful load and restart. Stuck on MoBo Code 66, oh no!!! What have I done. Code 66 means there is a problem with the DRAM than I remembered to reset the DRAM setting from Automatic to a manual 1600mHz up and running Baboon back in hiding. The memories of a totally bricked computer back in the 1990’s still haunts me.

Trying to get it to freeze, so far so good. I had forgotten the trouble I had with the RAM on this motherboard. It is DDR3 and it is supposed to be able handle up 32 gig’s worth. I can only get 16 gig’s to work, (8X2) and only to a 1600mHz clock speed. This is of course plenty but I would have loved to have max’ed it out. I cannot let the MoBo set it automatically.

Been running all night no problems. The computer seems more responsive as well. Given the trouble I had when I originally assembled this computer back about 3 years ago I shouldn’t have been surprised. The jury is still out but It just feels good. I didn’t want to replace my GPU it is a good one. Now I can spend the money on replacing all of my HHD’s with SSD’s.

I think my freezing is solved. The problem seems to have been a corrupted BIOS that was causing stability issues with the RAM. Because of the danger of bricking a Motherboard there isn’t any diagnostic Utilities I know of for BIOS testing. Fortunately ASUS Motherboards are very easy to flash the BIOS which is why I use them.

Back
Top Bottom