One Less Golden Arches

Condorsat

Audio Enthusiast
th

This last January we had a local McDonald's close it's doors for good. Low customer traffic was given as the reason. My dad, who has since passed, use to take me there when I was a kid. He would have never believed that a McDonald's would ever close it's doors. The last night of business ... I sat in the same chair (location) that we often ate at ... it had a window view into a valley. View was great ... burger ... not so much.

Can't say I was surprised ... I can make better burgers on my Camp Chef or Blackstone portable griddle than what you could buy at McD's. Seemed like the burgers were better when I was a kid ... or was I just younger and thought it tasted good. :dunno:

Last edited:
I am happy to see any fast food store close because it is just contributing to the total health issues of our country and now others around the world. The food is low grade garbage.

That said, an interesting movie I saw a few weeks ago called The Founder, is all about the beginnings of McDonalds and how it all evolved to today. It's really a shame that they actually feed 1% of the world's population daily as opposed to those people eating Food.

Recent article in the WSJ how Mickey D's has been losing ground to "fresh" beef places such as Elevation Burger, Smash Burger, and, yes, even Wendy's. McD's switch to fresh (i.e., non-frozen) beef for its quarter pounders is an attempt to claw back market share.

I'll be grilling at home tonight with fresh ground chuck.

Have you eaten at a McDonalds recently?

I take my kid there once a week for a snack in between school and his art lesson. It's right on the way. They've got things set up so they have these beepers going off constantly when something is ready - think the sound you hear when a large truck is backing up. I've taken to measuring it, in a 20-25 minute visit we hear those annoying things for a good 20 minutes of that. It's like they don't want you to be in there.

I've noticed this at any McDonalds I've visited. I've sent them feedback, and I've never gotten any response.

As far as I'm concerned they need to fire their entire management chain and replace them with people that have a clue.

bs

Have you eaten at a McDonalds recently?

I take my kid there once a week for a snack in between school and his art lesson. It's right on the way. They've got things set up so they have these beepers going off constantly when something is ready - think the sound you hear when a large truck is backing up. I've taken to measuring it, in a 20-25 minute visit we hear those annoying things for a good 20 minutes of that. It's like they don't want you to be in there.

I've noticed this at any McDonalds I've visited. I've sent them feedback, and I've never gotten any response.

As far as I'm concerned they need to fire their entire management chain and replace them with people that have a clue.

bs

They time every phase of the process.

Ever wonder why they ask you to pull ahead even if your food isn't ready? And you thought it was to be nice to the guys behind you. ;)

I prefer my own burgers too. I just got back from the Piggly Wiggly. They have their whole economy rib-eyes on sale for $3.99 a lb. I got a 9 pounder that will be ground into hamburger. Steaks, not so great. Hamburger, the best.

th

This last January we had a local McDonald's close it's doors for good. Low customer traffic was given as the reason.
Location, location, location. Took the kids there many times when I lived there. In order to survive, it needed to be close to 77/250 to get the highway traffic. We go to the local McDonalds once every month or two, so if most are like me, local traffic would never support it. On the other hand, we seem to hit one every time we are traveling.

Heck, I have never gotten over Elby's closing.

Location, location, location. Took the kids there many times when I lived there. In order to survive, it needed to be close to 77/250 to get the highway traffic. We go to the local McDonalds once every month or two, so if most are like me, local traffic would never support it. On the other hand, we seem to hit one every time we are traveling.

Heck, I have never gotten over Elby's closing.

The location was not bad ... it had been there at least 30+ years as best I can recall ... anyway the current owner was there that long. There use to be a McD's inside our local Walmart's (mile away) too that closed some time ago.

There is a Chipotle Mexican Grill and a Starbucks that are being built real close to this location ... you could throw a baseball from McD's that closed and hit the construction site.

We still have two McD's in the next town over to us.

I use to eat at Elbys all the time. Really like the Big Boy sandwich. That closed around here some time ago.

th

Last edited:
Maybe the location was worth more than the business......

Could be ... so far nobody is beating down the doors to move in ... but it's only been gone since January.

If I was a business owner ... might be leary bout doping some serious coin in a location that McD's complained about slow traffic ... unless I thought the problem was w/ McD's.

Last edited:
My only use for McDonald's for the past 20 years or so has been for coffee and bathroom break on the road. Coffee's pretty good and inexpensive. Other than that, I ain't got no use for them.
ceee4e73dbe0fd819108eb1f465bc91f.jpg

Recent article in the WSJ how Mickey D's has been losing ground to "fresh" beef places such as Elevation Burger, Smash Burger, and, yes, even Wendy's. McD's switch to fresh (i.e., non-frozen) beef for its quarter pounders is an attempt to claw back market share.

I'll be grilling at home tonight with fresh ground chuck.

It looks like the big beer companies are meeting the same fate as micro-brews have taken over. I'm with most everyone else in saying nothing beats a home-cooked burger.

In my town there are several family run lunch places that serve outstanding burger platters that are cheaper and more food than McDonalds. Plus the food is freshly made.
That is exactly my take on the fast food places. I have dozens of places near me that serve a better burger at a price that is close to what the fast food places charge. They are fine for a meal on the road, but not a destination place for me.

MacDonald's is on permanent boycott for me. If it is the only choice, I will eat MacDonald's but that is it.

Could go a little ways towards solving the energy crisis by closing the entire chain down. Run busses off the grease traps for years and all those cars idling in the drive thru, we'll they could stay home and actually cook their own food.. :bigok:

Back
Top Bottom