One more Eico ST70 rebuild thread

I have a Phase Linear myself, so I won't give you any noise about the Carver.

Nice job getting this back in shape.

Thought that I would test my dbt to establish a baseline for another project.
Plugged in the st70 and 40 watts of light.
Eico couldnt get enough power to even glow (no pilot light installed) much less play. Typical?

You really can't say this is how it should look everytime. Typically a DBT is a protection tool.
If a unit has a major fault (short) the unit acts like a light switch. Bulb at or near full brilliance instantly and stays there. If a unit has this condition its fuse will blow (hopefully) but leave you no powered testing options.
Ideally (with the proper sized lamp (lamps), at power on bulbs should be bright (brighter) instantly then dim until faintly lit (possibly dark, depending on unit , lamp size, overall brightness in room).
You are in essence creating a voltage divider network. 2 series impedance loads. The bulb mostly a fixed value (I'm sure its resistance (impedance) changes as the filament heats but for sake of simplicity we can call it a resistor. The unit normally would have a low resistance (impedance) at instantaneous power on, then as PS caps charge its resistance rises (caps become charged and it becomes less conductive. )
While it less than perfect, the bulb gives you a visual picture that the unit is powering normally. As a testing tool (this is less precise, because certain tubes must reach a certain temp to conduct but)
You can measure actual v in to unit and with some degree of accuracy test for percentages of voltages that should be present at certain points without risking releasing magic smoke.
To a degree with multiple lamp sizes (or possibly multiple bulbs you can adjust the voltage at the unit by varying bulb size (sort of a poor man's variac.
(Under some conditions its advantageous to run variac through DBT to unit)
Its also useful (to a degree) starting old gear. It gives the electrolytic caps a chance to reform.
Clear as mud right?:D
Seriously, if something isn t clear, ask.

Last edited:
I use an ammeter for this sort of thing. Its more repeatable than trying to figure out how bright the bulb is. Current load will depend on the amp, so you'll get different levels of brightness with everything. The dim bulb is more of a safety / sanity tester than a precise measurement.

I use an ammeter for this sort of thing. Its more repeatable than trying to figure out how bright the bulb is. Current load will depend on the amp, so you'll get different levels of brightness with everything. The dim bulb is more of a safety / sanity tester than a precise measurement.
Yeah, it's more like having someone beside you ready to shout, Whoh! Stop!

Mine is rather more old school, an analog Triplett panel meter with a spade pointer. I have a voltmeter thats similar but made by someone else next to it. Weston maybe? I'd have to look. Same idea though.

Digital stuff is a lot less expensive than old analog meters are, and probably more accurate as well. I got mine for a very good deal, but it was more than 10 bucks.

Parts came in and did the phono mod along with the loudness mod. I added the new jumpers but left in the old ones, following NJ's photo, hope its right.
BTW, I ordered parts for several projects yesterday from mouser. They came in today. How they can double pack and label every 20 cent part and get it to me the next day is unbelievable.
Gonna case it and put it back on line. Something about the sound and power (and weight) of the ST70 that wont let it sit on the shop bench for long.

I get Mouser in 2-3 days, Digikey is a week if I order to my house, 4 days if I send it to work. I live 1/2 mile from work, in the same zip code, and am serviced by the same USPS, UPS and FedEx drivers. Its also cheaper to send it to work since it's a commercial address. Mouser makes no difference.

Back
Top Bottom