One more HDMI 2.0 Question

62sunbeam

Raconteur
My new Apple TV 4K apparently has a HDMI 2.0 plug. If I buy a receiver with 2.0 also but buy a even newer/fancier 4K TV with HDMI 2.2 will they all get along well?

Thanks

Eric

They will get along. However, you will not be able to take advantage of HDMI 2.2 features. Which if you aren't sure what they are, you won't miss them :D

There is presently no HDMI 2.2, afaik, but a lot of people get mixed up between HDMI and HDCP.

I think the newest HDMI is 2.1 and that is primarily geared toward future formats requiring higher badwidth. HDMI is backwards compatible. Meaning, just based on HDMI alone, the new versions support everything and more that the previous versions supported.

The bigger concern at present is HDCP 2.2. If all the devices in the chain are not HDCP 2.2 then you will not get what that allows, like the newer stuff associated with 4K. So, chances are good if you have a 4k Apple TV HDCP 2.2 going to a HDCP 2.0 receiver going to a HDCP 2.2 TV, you may not get 4K at all or the newer features within 4K.

Of course, you could plug the HDCP 2.2 Apple TV directly to the HDCP 2.2 TV and they'd play nice in that regard, but then it complicates the audio path and may limit your use of lossless audio formats that are only capable by HDMI.

I believe there is some confusion here. HDMI 2.0 is the HDMI standard. Part of that standard is the HDCP 2.2, the 4K encryption that goes along with HDMI 2.0. Some older devices claim to support HDMI 2.0, but supporting the faster data rates of 2.0 doesn't help if you don't support the HDCP 2.2 layer since many devices will drop down to 1080p and refuse to let you see the 4K. Every device must support HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2, except the cables, which only need to be HDMI 2.0 certified.

Edit: Yeah, what whoaru99 said! We posted at the same time!

Back
Top Bottom