One of several alternative systems: Denon PMA-920

Frank Sch

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 12.00.36 AM.png I acquired this couple of summers ago in a junk/antique shop for $80. It only needed some deOxit and a scale behind the volume knob reglued. It only lasted a few weeks before it was superseded by Nikko separates, (which are now also surpassed)

It sounded great (but I was new again to audio) and the specs are good, see link. Wondering what your thoughts are on it and if anyone else ever had one?

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/denon/pma-920.shtml

Last edited:
I've had one for several years. Most of that time it was in the closet. Had a problem recently with the Sansui in my office so pulled the garage Pioneer to replace that and put the Denon in the garage to (temporarily) replace the Pioneer.

I think it would be a good amp for rock. Not so much for jazz or classical (which is what I listen to). Plenty of power but lacking in detail.

At some point, I'll list it (and a few other things) on BT as I do have another back up Pioneer. (The Pioneer is wrapped up, the Denon was not so it was easier to grab.)

Denon is the best among mass produced Japanese company in my opinion - they are not liquid and transparent upscale sound, but they get the color right all the time...
The same company that makes McIntosh now.

My experience with DENON products is that they are great when it comes to specs, but not so great otherwise

Like many brands, Denon was cheapened in the 1980's when bean counters exerted more control than the electrical engineers.

Back
Top Bottom