One of those "mystery speakers" threads.....

The description points to DIY. The pictures point to a guy that put some effort into them. They need work, they aren't what I would call pretty, but I'd pay for 'em. Not much though.

Yea DIY for sure -

Wondering if anyone recognises any drivers - ie: the tweeters look a bit distinctive.....

The fella that engineered the system, designed the crossover, and chose those domes absolutely did not choose or specify those cheapo low wattage extended range speakers that have been shoved in the woofer holes, i promise.

At least one of the tweeters is a Philips AD-0161 poly cell

wwdt-3.jpg

I'd be tempted to use the domes on top of a larger woofer box. It would have an early B&W look to it. I'm betting those aren't bad. IIRC, that Philips behaves better when it is crossed higher, which that mid dome should allow for. Those inductors wouldn't be cheap to buy new.

Last edited:
The fella that engineered the system, designed the crossover, and chose those domes absolutely did not choose or specify those cheapo low wattage extended range speakers that have been shoved in the woofer holes, i promise.
Perhaps that was three parts of a four way on top of a larger box at one time (with a better midbass, obviously).

Maybe that board that's shoved in there diagonally was inside the bass box that isn't there. Think something like a Technics SB-7070.

Funny that there are so many speaker terminals. They may be designed for biamplification, unusual in a small speaker. If the seller doesn't know, you may need to figure that out. They don't look like they take a lot of amplifier power.

They probably originally looked something like this. Not this exact model, but in the 1990s there were many imitations of the Bose Acoustimass system sold.

klh-9362-black-swivel-cube-surround-sound-home-theater-bookshelf-speakers-3bfbb6bffbb35f7ff05186db57b16694.jpg

Back
Top Bottom