One Off Stuart Chapman monsters from the 70s

Looking at my living room picture, a side-by side is hard to accomplish.
You could easily entertain a small rock concert with the Chapman's - and that is the feel they give.
It takes some volume for the woofer to wake up and all drivers singing in harmony (minus the bullet, that thing is way too pronounced around neutral). I can't go much past said volume before the small living room is at it's limit and your ears had enough after 15-20minutes.
Ok, maybe I am exaggerating. Point is, they get better the more watts you feed them and maybe I should unbox my power-amp setup to see if that gets a better handle on the woofer.

18inches look mighty but the Gauss speaker is likely the weakest link here. The XPL-250 are more accurate and balanced but lack the lack sensation, i

I decided to keep them at least until we have moved and I experimented with them in the new living room. For now, I am out some cash, the budget for some repairs and renovations on the new property has to come from other sources.
Close enough: We live between Snohomish and Lk Stevens now, will likely move to the Lk Goodwin area, close to Warm Beach & Kayak Point.
Will your new place have a basement, so you can have a cave?

I bet you could do a good concert with those, I recall in conversation with Chapman something to the effect of wanting a speaker that played the who with the same quality as the audiophile world speakers,I'm paraphrasing but that is the impression I had......

Yep, they look like Ox speakers indeed!
The 'orrible 'O -

I bet you could do a good concert with those, I recall in conversation with Chapman something to the effect of wanting a speaker that played the who with the same quality as the audiophile world speakers,I'm paraphrasing but that is the impression I had......

At any rate, if you decide otherwise,
I am Charles of allhartfidelity.com
Stuart knows me well, and i collect Chapman. Would give them a good home, and appriciate the build.
Contact me any time, i will not hesitate.

Came across these locally in an ad with fuzzy pictures.
Made out a front of JBL speakers and decided to jump on them to make some (currently much needed) profit.

Upon arrival big surprises! They looked a good third larger than anticipated and my car choked to swallow them safely - but it all worked out.
They have some history! According to seller, he was the original owner, collaborating with Stuart Chapman on the design and requirements, making them a one-off mode

Speakers consist of nine chassis each:
1x 18in Gauss Woofer, sprayed cone (weighed down?)
2x JBL mids, aluminum dust cap (not sure of model yet, look like they came from a Cabaret series?)
4x JBL LE5-2
1x JBL 2402H
1x JBL 2405H

26in wide x 47.5in high x 16.5in deep
Weight: ~200-250lbs ea

Finally found time to manhandle them into place and hook them up.
At first only lower mids and big woofer worked. Fiddling with the gummed up pots, I found near neutral, working positions for all the rest and started listening.
Amazing sound. Compared to my XPL-200, there are some minor tonal shortcomings and the metal diaphragms of the bullet horns are really after your eardrums at higher volumes - I have to get the pots working!
For now a small rag is taming them down. In terms of sheer entertainment value, they blow my main speakers out of the water. :rockon: Absolutely enjoyable. Also, my living room is too small!

Enjoy the pictures.

View attachment 914958

View attachment 914960

View attachment 914959

I've never known all the models of Chapman (so never heard of these). The speaks we have set up are 2 sets of SCJ-1s' with one pair original (non-mirrored) and one set that needed serviced (mirrored). After researching we ended up taking them to the actual guy who is authorized locally and the first thing he said was "These are mirrored!! Do you know how rare they are?". (Of course we didn't!)
Anyways he ended contacting Stewart himself and Stewart advized servicing the crossovers, and replacing the mids and tweets with something newer that would kick these things up into what they were capable of.....my word was that a leap up! Still present was the solid "chestiness" and force of the quality woof and well constructed enclosure, but the transients and precense sprang so smoothly out of that that the improvement brought the soundstage out into a completely different league of experience. (Mind you, we have the other original "in spec" pair for comparison.) In the end it's hard to not compare these historic "local boutique" branded speaks with others in there same league of engineering and construction (from that small manufacturer on Vashon).
Call them a "no name" speak but? The person saying something like that better be sure their own name means something "first"! Past and present....Chapman is a very worthy contender and still retains a very dedicated following.

Last edited:
That's incredible they can improve, I have the b250 with Phillips tweeters and kef mids and by far my favorite speakers I've owned.

That's incredible they can improve, I have the b250 with Phillips tweeters and kef mids and by far my favorite speakers I've owned.

I'd enjoy having ears on those. My experience with Chapman is limited but locally here in Seattle/Puget Sound, people are getting competitive for the classic stuff. (Stewart still kicking quality out helps.)
What era are your b250s' from?

I'd enjoy having ears on those. My experience with Chapman is limited but locally here in Seattle/Puget Sound, people are getting competitive for the classic stuff. (Stewart still kicking quality out helps.)
What era are your b250s' from?

Based on the history document sometime after 78 but can't be certain, really should update the crossovers, again can't imagin them sounding better.

Back
Top Bottom