Onkyo 6 CD carousel repair help?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Kevin Lee, Jan 10, 2019 at 11:03 PM.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee New Member

Model DX-C320.
    PROB #1 The underside of white gear wheel engages the track on the laser carriage allowing it to travel as it reads media. It's skipping/teeth not engaging, just rubbing on each other and making a racket. Carriage won't move on it's own any more. The noise used to happen a little for years, but no failure til now. Fix? Parts?
    PROB #2 Small black gear wheel at rear spins the carousel. Mysteriously, this quit when the other problem appeared. Related? I'm clueless but do have it torn-down. Case/housing off. Thank for any advice, ya'll!
    See pics attached...hope this works....

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Super Member

Can you move the slide manually?

If the slide is stuck, the gears will thrash.

3. dr*audio

dr*audio Fish fingers and custard! Subscriber

This is a Sony mechanism. You may be able to find another one on E-bay. Look at the metal plate, it should have KSM-something stamped on it. That's the part number, Google it.
    Examine the gears closely. If the teeth are undamaged they may have popped out of place. The white gear snaps into place and is held by a little piece on the bottom which sometimes breaks.
    The belts probably need to be replaced.

cpt_paranoia likes this.
  4. dr*audio

It's a sony ksm2401aan. I found one on E-Bay but it's missing the white gear. Check the condition of the teeth on the gears. I've never seen one with a bad gear, only with the white gear popped up out of place.

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee New Member

Thx Cap n Doc. Laser carriage does move on the guide rail w minor effort because it's driving the gears/motor...and then zip!...it skips past 3 or 8 teth and settles back in and travels to the end. Harder to get it started at either end of the carriage rail, but I have no reason to think it as stuck. Light dab o wht lithium, maybe? I simply suspect wear and tear.
    -
    Now (see above). What aboot PROB #2 ...when you get a chance?

Thanks, gents!

6. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee New Member

Also, when you power down the unit, the laser assy returns to its resting/off position, right? Wherever that is. When you turn unit on it gets to skipping gear teeth pretty quick w no start/stop or intermittancy (new word?) in the pattern...that is, once it starts slapping gear teeth it will continue nonstop til unit realises error and stops it.
    -
    Also, also...if white gear is popped loose, should I be able to remove it? And wouldn't it be disengaged ALL the time and not spin when testing by hand?

Please register to disable this ad.

7. dr*audio

Check ... the...teeth...on...the...gears! If the gear is loose it will make intermittent contact. All you have to do is push down on it to check it, it will snap into place. From your picture it looks like it is sitting high.