Onkyo C7030/ Emotiva XDA-1

Dearslayer

Forgive me for asking as I'm sure this has probably already been discussed. I have the mentioned units and they are connected to my Bryston BP6 Preamp and Bryston 4BST amp feeding a pair of Pioneer HPM100's. I hooked the CD player to the DAC when I first got it simply because my ignorance with this stuff thinking that it would provide the best sound. Admittedly I don't get the chance to listen to it often. Before I start disconnecting things to try the CD player on its own without the DAC is it the opinion of most that the CD player might sound better without the Emotiva?

I don't know anything about either, but a quick web search showed the reviews are not that favorable for the Emotiva. Seems it was their first attempt at a DAC. Disconnect it and give a listen. Only your ears will determine if it's better or not.

I have a Onkyo DX-7555 and prefer the sound running through my Schiit modi multibit DAC. Much more detail/clarity/definition. I have a Schiit modi3 (in a different system) that also sounds good using a Denon cartridge changer player. The modi3 can be had for a C note. (And gets great reviews.) ;)

Thanks for the input rickb119. I don't know much about it either. I originally purchased the 7030 because of recommendations on a couple of forums and also favourable reviews. The Emotive was just sitting on a shelf at the time as it came with another package deal from a friend of mine so I figured I'd give it a try and just never gave much thought about taking it from the equation,but just recently I've been wondering what the Onkyo would sound like on its own. Will have to pull the Emotiva as soon as I have time to check it out. I will report back when that happens.

GT.

I have an XDA-2 and I'm quite satisfied with it. There are several other posters on AK who own an XDA-1 or XDA-2. At least one poster owns both and is happy with them.

I use a laptop playing FLAC files as a source for mine. It goes to 24/192. The analog outs are connected to my ARC SP-9.

Emotiva XDA-1 reviewer's negative comments mostly centered around the lack of specific sampling frequency capabilities (such as 88.2khz and 176khz PCM files) and the linear volume control (vice logarithmic) which were later addressed in the XDA-2 and then further refined in the XDA-2Gen2. All have the same basic architecture and run the AD1955 DAC chip which has excellent performance if implemented properly (it is still used in several high end DACs). Your XDA-1 should sound most excellent with your CD player and other sources excepting music files that it does not support. Try it both ways and see which one sounds better to you. There is no right or wrong answer here. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom