Onkyo cassette decks

I have an Onkyo dual deck (can't recall the model # right now) that I use regularly. $5 garage sale find with good performance. Dolby B & C, full logic controls...nice unit.

Generally Onkyo marketed some pretty nice decks; some were (it appears) Nakamichi OEM (as were many other decks from various 'full line' manufacturers, over the years). At this late date, go for the best of 'em (three heads, blah, blah, blah); no reason to scrimp as prices should be very low.

I'm not intending this list to be the definitive buying guide, but I have (and have had) several Onk's and consider them as generally under the radar, but great performers.

TA-2056
TA-2058
TA-2070
TA-2090
TA-2500
TA-2600
TA-2800
TA-2900

the 2056 and 2058 are entry-level Integra's with single capstan transports, but they are very nice machines, and I would still consider them sleepers. The 2070 and 2090 were TOTL machines, and will go for much more coin. The auto 'accubias' system (their term for auto tape tuning) can give trouble, and render the deck unusable for recording. I don't think the later 2500-2900 machines have auto tuning. The 2500 and 2600 are single capstan. If you insist on the earlier silver-faced, needle VU meter look, the TA-2060 and 2080 are good machines, both direct drive three-head, the 2060 being single capstan. Neither have Dolby C.

Any of the single well decks with 3 heads are really nice and worth getting. The Integra decks are the best, but there are some 3 head models that came out before Onkyo started the Integra line that are just as good. Avoid any auto reverse decks, it is impossible to get good head alignment with a moveable head, The 2 well decks Onkyo made are better than anyone else's but you still don't get 2 excellent mechanisms for the price of one. Sorry, can't be done.

I have an Onkyo TA-203 that sounds fantastic....however the pitch is just a bit slow....but it really does sound great

I love my lowly 2050 :yes:

IMGP1498.jpg

in my opinion , if we talk about decks built in golden era -1980-1990 - , ONKYO as a manufacturer is above TECHNICS, SONY , KENWOOD , DENON , JVC and many more ......only NAKA , TEAC-TASCAM , TANBERG , REVOX , ALPINE-ALPAGE, YAMAHA or AKAI , only these brands made something that beats onkyo units ..........

Just picked up an Onkyo TA-2000 yesterday for $5, after a cleaning I am impressed with the fidelity of this deck considering its modest specs. Picked it up to listen to some demo tapes made by a local band named KIX, my neighbor dated a band member at the time.

My first cassette deck was also an Onkyo, circa 1982 or so, sure wish I still had it. Bagged a lot of groceries to pay for it. The grocery store I worked at had a stereo store located next door in the shopping center, guess where a lot of my disposable income went :)

I, too, own an Onkyo, TA-RW313. It's a dual deck, auto reverse model with Dolby B & C noise reduction as well as HX Pro. I've literally played and recorded 100's of tapes on it and have never had an issue. My CD player is broke in my vehicle but the cassette player works fine, so I use it to make mix tapes to listen to. I can't tell a difference between the tape and the source material. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

Back
Top Bottom