Onkyo CP-1046F assistance needed to get Automatic to work

Johncan

Record collector
A co-worker just gave me an Onkyo CP-1046F turntable with a Shure Pro-10 cartridge and stylus. They said the turntable was not working. I can get it play as a manual, but not as an automatic. The arm will not move to the start of the record or return to the arm rest at the end of the record.

In manual mode, I had to adjust a screw on the arm rest to get the stylus to actually touch down on the record. It was hovering just above the record previously.

I adjusted the counterweight to 1.5 grams using a Shure SFG-2 stylus force gauge. However, the counterweight on the tonearm shows 2.25 grams. What is the trick to get the counterweight to align with the actual weight?

I set the anti-skate to 1.5. It is tracking fine. It sounds above average.

Any suggestions of how to fix any of this? I want to give this turntable to my 16 year daughter for her 17th birthday.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if I take the platter off or dismantle from the bottom to see the insiders of this turntable?

Also, anyone know of a good source for replacement stylus for Shure Pro-10. I think the N105E may be the replacement for it.

Looking on VinylEngine.com, I see they have the owner's manual for this but not the service manual. I bought a CD full of Onkyo service manuals, so I looked up the CP-1046F. It was a one-page affair and said, basically, "use the CP-1044F service manual". That service manual is available on VinylEngine.com. If you have trouble getting it, let me know.

Does anyone know if I take the platter off or dismantle from the bottom to see the insiders of this turntable?

Also, anyone know of a good source for replacement stylus for Shure Pro-10. I think the N105E may be the replacement for it.
From the bottom.

Looking on VinylEngine.com, I see they have the owner's manual for this but not the service manual. I bought a CD full of Onkyo service manuals, so I looked up the CP-1046F. It was a one-page affair and said, basically, "use the CP-1044F service manual". That service manual is available on VinylEngine.com. If you have trouble getting it, let me know.

Found the CP-1044F manual. Thank you!

There is a gear at the bottom that controls the automatic feature. The gear on mine was basically nonexistent. Because of that, I use this turntable as a manual turntable.

Back
Top Bottom