Onkyo GX-3 Console Stereo System

tandata

Thought I'd put this up here since it seems to be a bit hard to find information on this setup on the Googlewebs. I believe the system is from around 1979.

Here's a quick snippet from the first page of the instruction manual-

"The new Onkyo "Sound-In-Decor" GX-3 system console stereo features advanced audio design concepts with exquisite modern styling. Equipped with separate type controls and switches, the GX-3 offers a full sense of power plus an exceptionally high quality of sound. Both the left and right semi bass-reflex speaker systems include a 20cm (8") woofer and 8cm (3 1/4") tweeter to ensure excellent response in reproduction of very deep lows and very clear highs. The fully automatic turntable operation enhances the joy of listening to records with a minimum of fuss and bother. Space is also provided for an optional tape desk, such as the Onkyo TA-623 or TA-600D, while the cabinet itself plus the ample record storage space are enclosed by 2 strong glass doors. Extra space is also provided for accessories. In short, the GX-3 is a new stereo system designed to blend high quality sound with a tasteful decor."

The cabinet says it is "ONKYO System Console Stereo".

Amplifier - GX-3a
Tuner - GX-3t
Tape deck - TA-600D
Turntable - MSS-7612A
Speakers - GX-3 (no s??)

P9107794.JPG

P9107793.JPG

P9107795.JPG

P9107796.JPG

Last edited:
Oh man, I love vintage Onkyo and also have never seen this system (or one like it). Now I want one! Any chance of speaker pics sans grills? How do they sound?

I wouldn't want to talk it up-- but the system as a whole does not sound bad, it's surprisingly loud and sometimes clear. The bass was a surprise.

I can not for the life of me work out how to remove the speaker covers. I don't want to jab a screwdriver in there to pry them off because I've seen what they can do! I did remove the backs and get a photo inside them, though.

P9127819.JPG

P9127820.JPG

Last edited:
What a nice surprise. I was expecting the console to be some black plastic boxes from the mid-1980s. What you have is very, very nice and rare.

I am taking a wild guess but I think the weakest link in this system is the speaker set. Try hooking up a more refined or modern pair of small bookshelf speakers (PSB, Energy, Mission, Polks, etc). Your console sound may jump from good to great.

Crypto revival, but I had to mention that I like the use of real wood strips for the screws to set into instead of straight into the particle board. I'd venture a bet that they sound pretty good too.
Big fan of Onkyo.

I missed this golden oldie from four years ago, but I'm glad it was revived. I've never seen a "console" system like this before and it's quite nice. Very easy on the eyes! Agreed that the speakers are probably the weak point. If it were mine I'd simply replace the woofer and tweeter with higher quality units and install a proper crossover. This update would be quite easy, not expensive, and would yield a significant upgrade in sound while retaining the cool looks.

GeeDeeEmm

Hi, i have the following turntable which is supposed to have been part of a stereo system too. Its onkyo cp100.IMG_20170121_132119.jpg IMG_20170115_151845.jpg IMG_20170115_151852.jpg . Can you tell me if your tonearm is aftermaket? Looks exactly the same except for the tonearm. My tonearm is not so good at all.

We have this unit and need to replace belt on turntable is anyone able to advise us on the belt size
Thanks

Sweet! I know it's an old thread, but I haven't seen that model before. I want to touch the volume knob!

Hi from the land down under (‘Oz’). I have had a GX-3 since 1979 or may have been 1980. Always been very happy with it. Think I paid AUD$990 for it back then and procured the tape deck separately. Not being a sound techno nerd, and only having a small cottage, the sound it produces is easily excellent for me. Am an Onkyo fan - have a 6CD player and a sound bar also - Onkyos ! Japanese quality always respected but I think the CD player might have made in Taiwan or South Korea. Cheers and beers. Baza.

Back
Top Bottom