Onkyo integra TX-890

BobHol

Old fart
I really didn't need to buy another amp/receiver but...
I recentlly won an auction for a local pair of DLK 1 1/2 (need some woofer repair but beautifull cabinets $20). But they're 4 ohm
My only 4 ohm capable amp was already powering a pair of allison speakers that I'm sure are 4 ohm. So...
The next day I'm looking through the local Craigs List and spot an add for a Onkyo Tx-108. Look it up in AK and see some favorable reviews. The add said that he had recentlly hooked them up and that they sounded excellent, the rest of the add was copied from somewhere saying what a quality piece of equipment this was, and a fuzzy picture.($45) I send an e-mail asking if I can see the unit the next day after work. Then the add changes and now its a TX-890.? After more AK research I'm getting a bit excited even if the unit is BPC.
Drive across town the next day with cash in my pocket. I find the seller in his garage standing on a chair. The receiver is on top of a refridgerator with one small speaker and an FM antenna.
No sound is coming from the speaker and the seller is clueless as to why. All the lights are on, the signal strength graph shows its getting a signal. The unit seems to make the right clicking sounds when turned on. This receiver has a lot of buttons and the seller keeps trying to find the right button. I keep quiet except to recommend not to have the volume turned 3/4 of its travel.
He claims he had sound out of it from a CD palyer (at a different house). He searches and find a CD player hooks it up and no sound. He's getting frusterated and I'm worried that I'd go home empty handed. So I offer him $20 as-is, but he isn't finished pushing buttons. Now here's a clue that I missed completelly untill after I left. He plugs a line cord from the CD player into the MAIN-IN plug and gets a ton of volume. Volume control on the receiver does not control it. By now most of you who are familiar with audio gear have a good guess as to whats going on, but I did not. The seller accepts my $20 and I drive home with a new toy. Part way home it hits me that this unit probablly needs a jumper between the PRE-OUT and the MAIN-IN. Get home and find a set of jumpers that fit perfectlly and everything works.
Inside the unit is very dusty. DC offset 9.0 left 55.0 right.
The large can capacitors have some hard brown stuff around them, but an AK search tells me this is glue, but I should clean it up where it is touching other components because it could become conductive. Cosmetically its a little rough with two buttons missing covers (but they still work). I've cleaned up the dust and have listened to it some. Every thing seems to work, though I can't tell any change from the "dynamic Bass expander"
The "loudness" button works fine. This unit has 20 radio station pre-sets and all have a local station linked to them.
Me thinks its a bit of a steal. Now I just have to wait for the "local" speakers to arrive. But thats another story.

Attachments

• onkyo1.jpg
    onkyo1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 148
  • onkyo2.jpg
    onkyo2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 115
  • onkyo4.JPG
    onkyo4.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 122
  • onkyo5.JPG
    onkyo5.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 116
  • onkyo8.JPG
    onkyo8.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 133
The pre/out - amp/in plugs have been a boon to many AKers over the years. I have yet to get the luck with that particular gambit. After a little cleaning, you should have a lot fun with a very ballsy receiver. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom