Onkyo m-504, m-508, and m-509 repair/upgrade, conundrum/problem.

ScottO13

Hello, I have been looking for a more musical amp set up than the Rotel RB1080's I've been using. The cost being prohibitive of anything that I'd want new, it just so happens that I love vintage gear anyway! Having purchased already one of each, Onkyo m-504, m-508 and m-509. I have the habit of taking vintage gear into the shop for servicing "This gives me a 30 day warranty on anything I buy!". I found out pretty quickly that none of the older amps had binding posts that would accept banana plugs. So when I took the 504 in first for service, I showed up with shiney new insulated binding posts. I was informed that they couldnt be used. That the 504's had two four place terminal holders on a "plate" that screwed in to the frame. The service guy called Onkyo to try to get a new set-up and was told that there was NO replacement.
Since I refuse to believe that this cannot be done I've since researched for a bit online. It has indeed been done. Most made it sound very difficult and involved. But two people stated that they had done this quite easily but did not state how. The problem with the posts is that they are all quite old. Dead in fact. So I'm hoping that someone knows something about this. I know that I could just leave them alone. But the m508 has one that is broken anyway.
Also I have a question about recapping these if needed. Would it be easier to recap using "4" larger caps rather than fabricating all you need to for the eight orig. Caps?
I am a huge fan of these amps with how they sound. Any help or advice would be highly appreciated.
Thank you, Scott

Back
Top Bottom