Onkyo M-5160 vs Rotel RB-981

gyusher

-don't go round hungry-
I just swapped out amps today in my office/computer room. For the past month or so I had been using my 981 Rotel a 130x2 marvel for its moddest price (600.00 msrp). I have read more positive reviews than I can count on the 981 and I got to say I agree it is one of the finest sounding amps I have heard at any price. Lots of authority, much more depth and clarity than its meager price tag would suggest. A very forward almost in your face sound but very pleasant at the same time. I never get tired of the Rotel, I listen to it all day every day and love every minute, kind of puts you right in the music.
Now the 5160 Onkyo (150x2) I just got last week (102.00 eBay) excellent condition better than mint, perfect cosmetics. The sound didn’t disappoint me either, a bit laidback compared to the Rotel. Very nice warm pleasant sounding amp, doesn’t seem as eager to get with it as the Rotel, most likely not as sensitive as the volume knob is up around 9 o-clock to give the same spl as the Rotel at about 8 o-clock, very scientific I know.
I really like how both of these amps sound but there is a distinct difference albeit very subtle. I like them both for different reasons. The warm soothing Onkyo or the up front Rotel. . . I am not comfortable using some of the terms you normally see when comparing amps or other audio gear. All I can do is tell you what I think, wether I like it or not and I do like them both. I will say the Oink grows on you after listening awhile, not tireing either.
The Oink was destined to garage duty but after listening to it all day I think it will stay put for awhile.
Both are cool as cucumbers no excess heat to worry with and I think for cool running the Onkyo wins.

Guy, Great review!! One quick question I have though. Have you noticed any difference in discernible detail of music between the two? I mean, do small microphonics come through equally albeit the coloration you mentioned? The Rotel being forward might not be a good thing if it's emphasizing the midrange and highs to compensate for detail. The Onkyo sounds more like a natural sounding amp from what you describe.

The trouble with words

The trouble with words is that they mean different things to different people.

First the Rotel beats the Onkyo in all aspects which is as I would expect. However the Onkyo is not at all unpleasant, just the oposite a very competant and easy to listen to amp. But for doing it all its very hard to beat a 981 Rotel. . . Like I said it puts you right in the music. . . You dont miss a thing, one of the cleanest most accurate amps I have heard with a tendancy to be a bit forward, clean from bottom to top. . .

I have owned the 980bx, 1070 and many 981s all are about the same amp but for some reason I cannot explain the 981 has always been in a class by itself.

I suspect a Integra or a Grand Integra would be a totally different story.

Last edited:
I will second the comfortable sound of the Onkyo M-5160. Competent performer in a compact package. Sweet sounding.

10/4

I will second the comfortable sound of the Onkyo M-5160. Competent performer in a compact package. Sweet sounding

I like it well enough to put the Rotel back in its box and back in the closet for now.

An excellent "Worker Bee" or "Daily Driver". . .

After running all day from 5AM (slept in) untill now (6:20PM) it is barely warm. . . I agree a very compact clean almost ELITE looking package, and the "KIT" eye just makes it. . . . Maybe EW could make it go back and forth like the car. . . . Naw. . .too much sugar for a dime. . .

STK

BTW someone tell me the difference between STK output devices vs the "other kind" in language that I can understand.

Are they better, worse or just different.?? I noticed the STK modules when I had the lid off. I assume it must be a cheaper way of doing things, and thats how Oink gets 150wpc out of such a small, light package (about 22 pounds I think)

BTW I did search the forum and found many references to STK even did a GOOGLE search but I still dont fully understand. . .

Back
Top Bottom