Onkyo M504/P304....why can't I enjoy this??

You're welcome.

You know what's sad, is that you would think they would mate a solid pre-amp with it, at a minimum. I love my Onkyo gear, but sometimes I wonder what they were thinking after the mid to late 80's. Last I heard from the couple friends of mine that still have the M-504's they bought back in the day, the pre-amp they bought it has long been replaced.

Enjoy!

Phil

Look, to make the wife happy and to have some fun playing head games with fellow AK'ers, just find the pre you really like and swap it into the Onkyo chassis :D

She'll never know, you tell her it needed service while it was away, and no one will believe how good it sounds :)

I'm betting that you can hide a Nikko Beta 50 II pre inside that Onkyo chassis :D

My money is on a lame pre-amp.

It appears that is the case

You know what's sad, is that you would think they would mate a solid pre-amp with it, at a minimum. I love my Onkyo gear, but sometimes I wonder what they were thinking after the mid to late 80's. Last I heard from the couple friends of mine that still have the M-504's they bought back in the day, the pre-amp they bought it has long been replaced.

Enjoy!

Phil

I know, right?? Like I said, I read many MANY reviews that just GUSHED over the P304, but everyone I speak to says it's not all that.

You can get a Yamaha cx 800u for about 200 with a great phono stage and remote capability.

Remotes are nice, as I get older and don't wanna hop up and down every five minutes.....

Look, to make the wife happy and to have some fun playing head games with fellow AK'ers, just find the pre you really like and swap it into the Onkyo chassis :D

She'll never know, you tell her it needed service while it was away, and no one will believe how good it sounds :)

I'm betting that you can hide a Nikko Beta 50 II pre inside that Onkyo chassis :D

I broke down and told her the whole story, spun it as if it was an easy fix, which according to some, it is. All is good. She simply said, "Okay baby, whatever." She's a peach, that one..:yes:

There is something wrong with the preamp. Just get it fixed.

Absolutely. Know anyone within 200 miles of Bowling Green, Ky? Honest, GOOD techs are pretty slim around these parts.

"whatever", aye?

Last time my Mrs said that, I went out and came home with a pair of Sony N55s and N80s and she was cool with it - I say replace the entire thing! :D

With the 40 year old Sony as a pre, things are 100 pct better. I want to swap the op amps and see how I feel about that P304. It's dead silent, and I like the build quality, it just sounds so flat and dead in stock form.

I had this realization with the combo too. Try an Adcom gtp-350 preamp. IMO that made a night and day diff in SQ.

Replace all the opamps with LME49860NA/NOPB and you will be amazed at the improvement.
:yes:...If you look at my posted thread...That's what I have used.

Like I said...Stock is Flat and Dull....Now it SINGS!!!!!

The P-304 is very easy to Recap and replace the Opamps.

You tech-gifted guys....always rubbing it in my face about how EASY it is...:no:
:D:D:D
I'm sure it's not too difficult, but it isn't within my abilities. Will certainly be looking for an apt person to perform this surgery.

And gonna check out that adcom mentioned.

Bodes well :thmbsp:

You can hear the limitations of the little Sony, but it's still head and shoulders above the stock P304.

I have pretty bad tinnitus, and that P304 sets it off within 5 minutes. I found myself always turning the music lower....then lower still.....

Update on this thread.

I have a friend who is very tech-competent, and we (haha, HE) may be swapping out those op-amps real soon.

Will keep everyone informed, and thanks to all who chimed in a year ago.

There aren't many pre/amp combos in this price range as pretty to look at, and hoping the swaps in op amps will make it sound just as nice.

Any update? Curious if the opamp upgrade was performed.

Wow, I didn't ever update.

Mod completed, now I can drop in whatever op-amps I wish.

The new ones indeed improved the rather thin sound.

Whereas the highs were thin and "strident" as you often hear, now they're just clean and clear.

it wasn't a gargantuan change, but enough where my ears are now happy. To be honest, this line of amps (the Onkyo M series) are first and foremost clean and dry. No flabbiness, or overly-shrill upper end.

Mated to my Vandersteens, I'm now a very happy man, and of my multiple setups, my most exacting.

Back
Top Bottom