Onkyo M504/P304....why can't I enjoy this??

Yes, keep them honest. I always ask for my bad parts back (saying because I'm curious, etc.). That helps.

I do not think you'll regret this mod.

Good luck.

Dug up this old thread when I was looking into the M504 (one near me very cheap). I don't need it. but it sure is a good looking amp and I'm tempted.

How's your Onkyo combo treating you nowadays?

Send them both to me, and I'll restore them for you. If you don't like the sound after that, I'll trade them for a NAD pre/power combo.

Not being happy with something your wife or girlfriend buys you is tricky. I had a girlfriend once that bought me a Fisher turntable. It was shite, so I sold it to my cousin and bought an Ariston.

Lee.

Dug up this old thread when I was looking into the M504 (one near me very cheap). I don't need it. but it sure is a good looking amp and I'm tempted.

How's your Onkyo combo treating you nowadays?

I use the 504 with an Aragon, and it sounds VERY fine to my ears. The 304 pre I had new Op-Amps installed with sockets, and tho it appears they're not actually in the audio chain (says some of my tech buddies) it sounded so much better than before. I'd not hesitate to reconnect it. Go get them!

Send them both to me, and I'll restore them for you. If you don't like the sound after that, I'll trade them for a NAD pre/power combo.

Not being happy with something your wife or girlfriend buys you is tricky. I had a girlfriend once that bought me a Fisher turntable. It was shite, so I sold it to my cousin and bought an Ariston.

Lee.

If you're honest, Lee, I'll save up and do just that. I've got a Sansui 9090db that Glenn (EW) did, and Mattsd did my AU-G99X and my SX-1250. All work splendid. The pre, as I said before, had new op amps in the phono stage and some other part, per CohibaJoe's thread. It sounded far better to me, tho others say I shouldn't have heard a difference.

Do you know about those big filter caps?? Apparently CohibaJoe had a helluva time getting replacements. PM me if you like, and let us discuss this.

Last edited:
hi James, in my place there is this exact pair of ONKYO INTEGRA power amp M504 and pre amp P304 for sale. I have always wanted a McIntosh integrated or power amp that can supply 100-200w to be my end game, but in Malaysia Macs are very rare, though with some patience I might still get one. so I might want to consider the M504. My main purpose is to play large scale classical pieces with authority. I currently have Klipsch KG4 as my main speakers, and will look for JBL 4312 or the like or maybe some Altec/Klipsch vintage horn speakers whichever comes by in the future.

After all that you've gone through, would you advice me to wait for a Mac, or go ahead with the Onkyo? Or should I just talk him to sell only the power amp?

@travellersol Hey buddy! I'd say if the price is fair, buy them. Why? You will always be able to flip pretty pieces like these. Are they in good shape? Can you handle a soldering iron?

They tend to hold resale value, but I'd be a bit scared to mate these two with KG4's. Might be a bit shrill. If the price is nice, I say go for it.

Hey Onward!

First I'm seeing and read through the thread. Glad you got it sounding to your liking. I can imagine your disappointment upon the first listen. And especially when the gf made such an effort to please you!
Awesome crew here helping you out. It's surprising a mated system like this would sound so crappy. I'm sure the engineers spent a lot on R&D, yet it seems a lot of owners kept the amps and dumped the pre's.

Cheers, Glenn

Hey Onward!

First I'm seeing and read through the thread. Glad you got it sounding to your liking. I can imagine your disappointment upon the first listen. And especially when the gf made such an effort to please you!
Awesome crew here helping you out. It's surprising a mated system like this would sound so crappy. I'm sure the engineers spent a lot on R&D, yet it seems a lot of owners kept the amps and dumped the pre's.

Cheers, Glenn

Hello Glenn!

Yeah, I'd agree with all of the above. Maybe it was just one bad component that limited it, I cannot say. The Op-amp switch, while admittedly shouldn't make a difference according to those who know far more than me, sure seemed to improve things considerably. Hell, I dunno. All I know is that being the marriage gift, I should buckled down for a full recap of BOTH pieces, and enjoy them sparingly. The wife spent a bundle on these, and I don't have plans to ever part with them. Spinning some Willie Nelson on the turntable, the M504 is doing duty powering my XRT McIntosh's, and it is sublime.

Have a great Saturday, Glenn, and everyone reading this.

@onwardjames — I’m glad you were able to make the best out of a potentially sticky situation. I picked up a P-304 and M-504 combo last spring and was also a bit underwhelmed with the preamp... at first. It seemed to give a thin and lifeless sound no matter what I did. I don’t know if my ears just adjusted or if a different speaker pairing did the trick, but since the first month or so I’ve very much enjoyed the 304/504 combo, particularly with vinyl.

One thought I’ve had with regard to my initial dislike for the P-304 is I tend to engage the loudness control on most gear that has it available — I usually like the lush sound that results. However, there is no ‘loudness’ button on the P304, only bass and treble controls that don’t have wide adjustment ranges. I wonder if it was that artificially bloated sound I was missing at first with the P304. :dunno:

Last edited:
@Gnesen I'm willing to bet that the fondness I once had for the loudness button, which I have since dispensed with, is the reason.

Apparently, the P304 is a respected piece, as well as the M504. Not top shelf, but no dog turds.

While my Aragon 18k pre has been my main preamp for 3 years now, I would not hesitate to reinsert the P304 into rotation. Might even do that today, just to keep the caps happy.

Which reminds me, I need to get both pieces to Leesonic. I got the jingle, I got the urge.

Can't be that far from Ky to NJ, can it?? :biggrin:

@Gnesen I'm willing to bet that the fondness I once had for the loudness button, which I have since dispensed with, is the reason.

Apparently, the P304 is a respected piece, as well as the M504. Not top shelf, but no dog turds.

While my Aragon 18k pre has been my main preamp for 3 years now, I would not hesitate to reinsert the P304 into rotation. Might even do that today, just to keep the caps happy.

Which reminds me, I need to get both pieces to Leesonic. I got the jingle, I got the urge.

Can't be that far from Ky to NJ, can it?? :biggrin:

Nice. Please let us know if your P304 sounds any different than your recollection. And I’m thinking of recapping my pre and amp, though the special main filter caps on the M-504 are a little daunting. Leesonic would certainly be the safe way to go.

I found myself in the same boat trying too like that combination. I’m sure it shines when you kick up the volume but at low too medium volume,The preamp lack of adjustment besides bass & treble for lack of a better term, Falls flat. Fortunately my Sansui au-717 is in the same rack. Fabulous preamp with dedicated dual mono design has the M-504 sounding ridiculously beautiful, Great combination!! ( Infinity RS-4B speakers)

Nice. Please let us know if your P304 sounds any different than your recollection. And I’m thinking of recapping my pre and amp, though the special main filter caps on the M-504 are a little daunting. Leesonic would certainly be the safe way to go.

I realize I never replied to this - The P304/M504 is back in rotation, serving well on my Ohm Walsh 300 mk 2's.

The sound is lovely, crystal clear, and pleasant.

I found myself in the same boat trying too like that combination. I’m sure it shines when you kick up the volume but at low too medium volume,The preamp lack of adjustment besides bass & treble for lack of a better term, Falls flat. Fortunately my Sansui au-717 is in the same rack. Fabulous preamp with dedicated dual mono design has the M-504 sounding ridiculously beautiful, Great combination!! ( Infinity RS-4B speakers)

I cannot say this enough - get those Op-Amps changed. It made a difference. Some with greater technical knowledge than myself said it isn't in the signal path, but the difference was stark.

All that I know is that it sounds phenomenal with these Ohms.

I realize I never replied to this - The P304/M504 is back in rotation, serving well on my Ohm Walsh 300 mk 2's.

I cannot say this enough - get those Op-Amps changed. It made a difference. Some with greater technical knowledge than myself said it isn't in the signal path, but the difference was stark.

After reading the post that’s my next goal because I really like the combination look wise, To get the sound too match would be topping on the cake. Who do I send it too & whats the cost? In the meantime the Sansui matches up well.

@E-Stat would be proud!

After reading the post that’s my next goal because I really like the combination look wise, To get the sound too match would be topping on the cake. Who do I send it too & whats the cost? In the meantime the Sansui matches up well.

SOMEWHERE, on these boards, me and Cohiba Joe are talking about those op-amps. Basically, one has to de-solder the old ones, and in my case, I inserted these slotted things that allow one to quickly replace as op-amps improve. So, total cost was around 30 bucks, if memory serves, and it isn't anything terribly difficult, tho I trusted a buddy who is skilled with a soldering iron. The phono stage has them, and there is another spot that has them. I apologize, it's been some time.

I have some very nice tables and carts, but on the Onkyo rig I have a basic Technics SL3200 (DD, but very basic) and an M7N21D Shure.

It sounds FAR better than they have a right to.

I wish you luck. I'll see if I can find the link for those part numbers and such.

The Mitsu 5218A has pretty poor noise, THD and slew rate specs. Not surprised at all how that could be bettered. ;)

When Tony said you'd be proud, I really wasn't certain what he was referring to.

Is the above the previous op-amps that were replaced, E ?? All I know is that of all my stuff, that combination with the upgraded op-amps takes a back seat to nearly nothing else in my stable. Very pleasing, very clean and tight.

Back
Top Bottom