Onkyo Scepter 5001.

They perform as nicely as they look. I've found no real faults, and they seem to like all musical styles. I only wish they'd made it over here, I think reviewers would have been pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
They perform as nicely as they look. I've found no real faults, and they seem to like all musical styles. I only wish they'd made it over here, I think reviewers would have been pleasantly surprised.

Hi sorry I was not able to reply to this forum for so long. Did you manage to get your mid range on your scepter sorted out? I still have mine. I must say though I like the sound of the Scepter 300 model better. I guess it's because it has a big 38cm woofer.

Thanks

Hi sorry I was not able to reply to this forum for so long. Did you manage to get your mid range on your scepter sorted out? I still have mine. I must say though I like the sound of the Scepter 300 model better. I guess it's because it has a big 38cm woofer.

Thanks
Maybe look into replacing the electrolytic capacitors in the crossover. Mine were done 5 years ago.

I'm wary of candles. They have a reputation of lighting-up more than just the trim ring.
It was only burning while I was right there, I tend to agree that unattended is not wise.
It also helped eliminate some cooking odors :/

They where changed in both the speakers. The crossover. How many to change? You previous owner did them ??
Previous owner, and there are equal amounts film and 'lytic caps. He changed the electrolytic caps only, and it is not easy. They're in that rectangular concrete sarcophagus in very fine sand. Don't lose any of the sand if you do the job. You'll need to refill the box.

Hi,

I still enjoy the sound of the 5001 its awesome. But I think the 300 model is better to my ears anyway.

Sand ??? I opened both speakers up to repair the woofers and I didn't see anything like that?? I Saw the crossover which is pretty easy to get to. Wouldn't be very hard to take out and replace some components.. . These Caps are they separate?

From Audio Union.

"The quality part chosen by the repetition of the audition is used for a network part, and also in order to eliminate the slight influence which an oscillation of a part has, the zircon sand filling network TAP box is introduced.
Even if it made it approach, the component partses of most networks without the problem of a cross interferencee were stored in the dedicated-network TAP box, and this is filled up with the increased specific gravity zircon sand. The fine oscillation of a network part was removed by this, and distortion by unnecessary vibration of network parts is eliminated.
Moreover, about a choke coil, a three-dimensional placement is carried out on the outside of a network TAP box, and the mutual interference is made into the minimum.
Furthermore, in order to maintain a network purity, neither the printed circuit board nor a pewter was used, but each element product line is direct connected with the crimp type terminal".
The sand and components are in this box.
IMG_1075.JPG

From Audio Union.

"The quality part chosen by the repetition of the audition is used for a network part, and also in order to eliminate the slight influence which an oscillation of a part has, the zircon sand filling network TAP box is introduced.
Even if it made it approach, the component partses of most networks without the problem of a cross interferencee were stored in the dedicated-network TAP box, and this is filled up with the increased specific gravity zircon sand. The fine oscillation of a network part was removed by this, and distortion by unnecessary vibration of network parts is eliminated.
I Moreover, about a choke coil, a three-dimensional placement is carried out on the outside of a network TAP box, and the mutual interference is made into the minimum.
Furthermore, in order to maintain a network purity, neither the printed circuit board nor a pewter was used, but each element product line is direct connected with the crimp type terminal".
The sand and components are in this box.
View attachment 952226

Omg didn't even notice it. It's quite a mouthful. I think I will leave it for now.

I have a pair of these now. They are the best speakers I have ever heard to date.

Victor sx 10000 laboratory

Attachments

• IMG_0809.JPG
    IMG_0809.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 55
Omg didn't even notice it. It's quite a mouthful. I think I will leave it for now.

I have a pair of these now. They are the best speakers I have ever heard to date.

Victor sx 10000 laboratory
Well those are neat! I'd like to try a pair sometime, but it's unlikely I'll find any.

Very nice, but the only Diatone I'd really go after is the DS-505 with the stands made for them.
I already have the 2s-305 in mint shape.
I'm still really happy with the 5001, and evidently I am fortunate to have had Onkyo rebuild the woofers right before I bought them. (Proper urethane surround, in the proper density, new spider and new tinsel wires). I think that makes a difference, and was 47,900 per driver to have done.

Very nice, but the only Diatone I'd really go after is the DS-505 with the stands made for them.

Hi

I heard those in japan when I was there. They are very good. But the Diatone Ds 5000 I believe is their best. It's from the same family.

Back
Top Bottom