Onkyo t-4090 tuner

Njoy-Music

Old Time Rock & Roll
I just picked this up from CL from the original owner who doesn't use it anymore. I thought it might be a good match for my Onkyo A-8087 integrated even though it's silver and the A-8087 is black. I believe they're from a similar time and it is analog. I've read the sticky about cleaning but just testing it out first it sure seems like a really good sounding tuner.

Of course since the only other "tuner" I have available to compare is the tuner section of my Marantz HT receiver it is quite a difference!

I did a search here and it seems folk like it pretty well which is what prompted me to get it in the first place. And since this is the first one I've had in many years, I'm looking forward to giving it a good workout. A local NPR station has a Jazz show at night that plays some really good tunes as well as a good classical station. Rock, oldies, country and others, not so much.

Just wanted to share the happiness I'm feeling right now and enjoying the good sound from this little guy. Heavy for being so small.

Attachments

• Onkyo-t-4090.jpg
    Onkyo-t-4090.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 71
I've had one since new for about 35 years. Whatever you do, be very careful when cleaning the front plate. Lettereing comes out easily. I know, it happened to me.

Yes I got this in Tucson. Been sitting on the local CL for a little over a week. I noticed but couldn't get to it until today. I was amazed it was still around! Now it's singing right nicely in a way I have never heard FM before.

I had to clean the plastic windows with Windex to get some nasty film off of them but I used filtered water on the face plate. I've read enough horror stories on here to be forewarned! But thanks for the reminder.

The only thing I had to do was some DeOxit on the on/off switch but otherwise it's pristine. The inside has no dust or dirt of any kind anywhere. This nice little guy was treated extremely well and it shows. Silky smooth controls and tuning, all the lights work including the flashing red arrows to tell you which direction to move the dial to home in for best reception. No nicks or scrapes on the case anywhere. You'd swear it was new off the shelf.

Yeah I'm a happy camper alright!

Very delicate lettering on those...don't ask how I know. Just be extremely careful should you decide to clean the faceplate.

May want to consider replacing that silly "70's style" FM side connector with a chassis F jack.

Thanks for mentioning that. I hadn't really thought about as I don't have a nice antenna set up as of yet. However with this guy playing and grabbing stations as well as it does with the simple t-line it came with, I'm guessing a modest true FM antenna will bring out the best in it and the music.

I often catch myself stopping and having to verify it's really the tuner I'm listening to...

I am logging onto this thread four years later but I have a question about my Onkyo T-4090 that I could really use some advice about and this seems like the perfectly place. I have been enjoying this tuner for just two weeks and was overwhelmed at how well it can pull in stations in this area, using only a 300 ohm t-type indoor antenna. In fact, there are so many stations here in this city that I was surprised that I could get the one 'weak' station so well. But this morning, after two weeks, that station's reception was very poor and then it was gone. I pulled out a recent tuner (digital) and that tuner pulled the station fine. Does anyone know why the Onkyo would 'lose' a station?? I'm stumped and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sorry, It is very hard to say exactly what the problem is, since there could be a number of reasons, need to do some tests and measurements.

Sorry, It is very hard to say exactly what the problem is, since there could be a number of reasons, need to do some tests and measurements.
I understand and I thank you for your response. I will take this to the shop where it can be traced and fixed (hopefully). Thanks again, rcs16.

I just picked this up from CL from the original owner who doesn't use it anymore. I thought it might be a good match for my Onkyo A-8087 integrated even though it's silver and the A-8087 is black. I believe they're from a similar time and it is analog. I've read the sticky about cleaning but just testing it out first it sure seems like a really good sounding tuner.

Of course since the only other "tuner" I have available to compare is the tuner section of my Marantz HT receiver it is quite a difference!

I did a search here and it seems folk like it pretty well which is what prompted me to get it in the first place. And since this is the first one I've had in many years, I'm looking forward to giving it a good workout. A local NPR station has a Jazz show at night that plays some really good tunes as well as a good classical station. Rock, oldies, country and others, not so much.

Just wanted to share the happiness I'm feeling right now and enjoying the good sound from this little guy. Heavy for being so small.

That's what I have. My Yamaha RX-V2500 picks up more stations and more clearly using the same terk amplified antenna and is more convenient with the remote. However when I get a station dialed in good it sounds much better than the Yamaha.

Back
Top Bottom