Onkyo T-9 questions...

riverrat

professional camper
My "new" Onkyo T-9 arrived yesterday.

I'm curious how many lights this unit has for the tuning dial display. I see only one lit up on mine- it is attached to the tuning pointer and follows it along as you turn the tuning dial.

Are the signal strength and tuning meters supposed to be lit as well?

Also, the tuner came with a hang tag that says:

"Note regarding TUNED lamp:

Touching the tuning knob when receiver is in a tuned state will cause the tuned lamp to go off. If the tuned lamp does not go off readily, it may be adjusted with the sensor switch on the rear panel, which has settings for LOW, NORMAL and HIGH sensitivity. For further details see Instruction Manual."

I don't have the instruction manual, so I am curious what the purpose of this feature is.

Thanks for any advice from T-9 owners!

The T-9 does have dial lights, not sure how many, it has been a few years since I was selling them. If no one answers I can get answers from Ron, a friend with one.

As for the tuning lock, the T-9 has locks on a signal as many tuners do. When you touch the tuning knob the circuit should turn off the lock so tuning can occur. This is what the lights indicate. Not knowing electronics too well, I am guessing there is a capacitance sensor associated with the knob that senses your touch to turn off the lock. Adjustment is to make it work with different folks.

Having owned analog tune (dial) Onkyo tuners, yes, Blue Shadow is correct. The light indicates it is "servo locked" on the station. It can't drift. Body capacitance is sensed when the tuning knob is touched releasing the lock circuit.

The sensitivity switch on the back is for sensitivity to your touch. It has nothing to do with sensitivity to the signal.

Don't know about the number of lamps. Mine (not a T-9, but a T-15) had a light for the dial, too.

FWIW, my T-9 only has the dial pointer light.
Maybe the others are burnt out, but it wouldn't surprise me if the dial light is the only one.
Let me know if you pull the case and find out something contrary.

I know that mine has dial lights... but unfortunately, I have it packed away and can't get to it right now. :rolleyes:

Scott

i recall it has a pretty light show. All the Onkyos were famous for burning out lamps. Most lamps had rubber collars. A quick peek inside would tell!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies folks.

I'm not a tech, but I'll pop the lid and have a look. If it is supposed to have a "nice light show" I think some bulbs must be burned out.

It certainly SOUNDS great, better than my Sansui TU-719 I think.

Neither units have been aligned, so who knows.

Back
Top Bottom