Onkyo TX-108 receiver

aperl

My Onkyo TX-108 has a failed control module; repair shop can not get parts. It can be operated (mostly) with the remote. The front panel mode selector switches do not work at all. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Looks like no response, but I'll jump in, 5 years later. I had the same thing with my TX-88. It must be the control module that has failed---or at least is intermittent. I don't have a remote for this model, but when it works, it works very well. When it freezes up, it is completely frozen and will stay that way for hours, days, maybe weeks. Even with this history, I just bought a TX-108, realizing I may have the same thing happen some day. Please let me know how your Onkyo problem turned out, aperl. All the best to you!

I'll chime in a year later. I believe these had a battery for station memory backup as well as panel stuff. I wanna say a nicad battery somewhere near the front panel on the inside. At least something to check out.

I'll chime in a year later. I believe these had a battery for station memory backup as well as panel stuff. I wanna say a nicad battery somewhere near the front panel on the inside. At least something to check out.

After selling my TX-108 sometime back, I bought another one for cheap with the same problem of no sound and no operation of the front panel. You mentioned there may be a nicad battery somewhere. If you have found anything more about this problem with the TX-108, I would appreciate anything you know! BTW, mine isn't scheduled to arrive until for another five days.....maybe the problem is so small it won't be big thing at all. Thanks!

There is an IC chip that handles source selection. You could get lucky and find a bad solder joint. The chip itself may have a replacement. Look for the ID and search 'net for the pin outs. Then find equivalent chip with same pin outs.

There is an IC chip that handles source selection. You could get lucky and find a bad solder joint. The chip itself may have a replacement. Look for the ID and search 'net for the pin outs. Then find equivalent chip with same pin outs.

Thanks, SoCal Sam. That gives me a place to start if this one coming in has the same problem that I had with a previous TX-88. This must be common for the TX-88/TX-108, but I haven't heard this problem with other Onkyos. But, dang....an IC chip is not in my wheelhouse. Hand-wired stuff was fine! (thinking back on working on 60s Fender amps). Thanks again for the advice on how to go if it is an IC.

if a free manual is found i can have a look with you .

There's schematic and a block diagram of it on HiFi Engine. If you'd want, I can send you the link PM. You could find the problem (if it is indeed the problem ---- I won't know until the unit gets here next week), that would great!

After selling my TX-108 sometime back, I bought another one for cheap with the same problem of no sound and no operation of the front panel. You mentioned there may be a nicad battery somewhere. If you have found anything more about this problem with the TX-108, I would appreciate anything you know! BTW, mine isn't scheduled to arrive until for another five days.....maybe the problem is so small it won't be big thing at all. Thanks!
I haven't opened mine up, but from what I read somewhere, it's near the front and I'd imagine fairly easy to get to, considering it's a replaceable item. GL

Thank you for writing back. I sure hope that is the problem and, if so, finding a battery around here shouldn't be too bad. Thanks!

I haven't pulled up the Service Manual yet, so I don't know. Maybe SoCal Sam knows that answer to that off the top of his head....

There is a TX-88 schematic here:

https://elektrotanya.com/showresult?what=onkyo tx&kategoria=&kat2=all&page=3

about half way down the page of search results.

I also had a TX receiver that was locked up. Preamp would not do anything. Amp was good. Was advised that it was an IC chip. The repair, if possible, would have cost more than the unit so it went to the dump.

Last edited:
I also had a TX receiver that was locked up. Preamp would not do anything. Amp was good. Was advised that it was an IC chip. The repair, if possible, would have cost more than the unit so it went to the dump.

Same thing with my TX-88. Just not worth it. I hope I'm surprised and a nicad is just out of gas. That would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom