Onkyo TX-8270 vs my TX-NR646 Help sought

prgottfried

Hi-

This is my first post to audio karma. Everytime I search on a piece of equipment, new or old, this site comes up and I have learned a lot. So now I'm jumping into the fray.

I used to run a surround sound set up off of my Onkyo TX-NR646, but have dialed back to the standard 2 speaker stereo setup (I'm loving my ELAC Debut 2.0 F6s). On another thread, I read that I could get better sound/separation from a dedicated 2 channel receiver vs a surround. So I am thinking about the TX-8270. Although I won't really use the HDMI, I do like the support for Airplay because I run quite a few live shows off my Mac to my stereo.

So my question is, will I really get better sound from the 8270? Any help or opinion is helpful. Heck, I can always audition the receiver and send it back if it doesn't sound different to my ears.

Pete

PS If anybody has an opinion on a different receiver or even an integrated amp, that would be great. I'm just running a DVD player, TT, and my Mac.

I went a similar path over the past year. I changed my yamaha 5.1 system to an onkyo 8220 2 channel with pre out and am very happy . I have Klipsch mains and just took delivery yesterday of a SVS sb-1000 ( which I have not listened to yet )

Thanks for your response JD. I had an interesting experience this weekend that moved me to make a 2 channel purchase. I hooked up some old ELACS (well, they are only a year old) to an old Sony receiver I have in my attic. That receiver has a TV and Apple TV hooked to it. I found that I could run some of my shows from iTunes through the Apple TV and out of my speakers. It did what I needed it to do so I'm going to replicate the set-up on my main system. I ordered a Yamaha A-S501 Integrated Amp. I figure I will run my TV and CD/DVD through the two digital outlets, my TT through the phono jack, and plug an Apple TV into the back of my television. And if my 53 year old ears don't hear a difference, then I'll just ship it back. I'm excited to hear how this sounds.

Back
Top Bottom