Online! Radio Shack & Lafayette Catalogs

Great link, those old Radio Shack catalogs really bring back memories. When I was in my teens I would drool over the big stereo systems that were FAR out of my reach at that time.

I was looking at the 1979 Radio Shack catalog and found this quote talking about their TRS 80 computer on page 79: "Anyone who can read and write English can probably learn to program with Level-I BASIC!". Yes, it actually says "probably", talk about leaving themselves an out.

old catalogs

A copy of the Harvey Radio catalog from the mid to late 60's is the best of them all.

^ I built the color organ on page 144 of the 1978 catalog (click on page to enlarge and drag). It connected to one of the amp's speaker outputs, unlike the more common ones with a built-in mic. But that slight irritation was more than made up for by the fact there were three filters so one set of colored lights would only respond to either bass, midrange or treble sounds. AFAIK all the "store bought" color organs only responded to the loudest sounds and weren't nearly as trippy :) to watch.

The link to Lafayette online catalogues given by the following member seems to be a dead link - if so can you provide another? The following is quoted from above:
"03-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Ragnar51
AK Member
Online! Radio Shack & Lafayette Catalogs
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/ca...directory.html
http://208.190.133.201/lit/la713/Lafayette_7130015.html" This last link is the one I can't get. Thanks, Crank-to-11

Yes, I can't get the Lafayette link up. Too bad as I'm way more interested in that. I can remember being in school and a friend and I had Lafayette catalogs from 74 (ish) and we were talking stereo during English class. Oddly, the teacher put up with that for a few weeks before she shut us down.

Thanks for the links OP. Great if someone can provide a working Lafayette link.

I've got a Lafayette catalog from 1962 up on the bookcase with my other catalogs and manuals. I'd love to have one of each item.

Some of the new people may want to check out "Interesting Stuff > Catalogs & Price Sheets" at the AK database.

For sheer straight-up bizarreness, nothing beats the catalogs from McGee Radio in Kansas City. Printed on paper that made newsprint weep, the McGee catalog was notable for having the strangest whatever "stuff" between its (usually torn) covers. Amps from consoles, weird coils, one-of-a-kind speakers, and some stuff you just couldn't tell what the hell it was (or who on earth would buy it). The arrival of a new McGee catalog was as big an event to me as the new Mad Magazine showing up at the drugstore.

Now that I'd like to see online!

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Agreed on the McGee catalog. There's some different stuff in mine from 57 and it's a real trip down memory lane.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 20
Jimbo, thanks for that link!

I used to DROOL over the Hallicrafters Ham Radios in the old Allied catalogs!
Wow. Memories.

EDIT: I had totally forgotten about Knight-Kits!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom