Only 3000 pressed and mine just got delivered...

Your box number is right where I would want to be or at least under 1000. I found this from a link on Hoffman that went to Music Direct. I think MD is in associated with these, like they have the licensing of the titles and MFSL is doing the work. Might be why there is nothing on MFSL site.

MusicDirect purchased MFSL a few years back including all the lathe and pressing equipment. They even brought back some of the previous key people to train people to carry on the process and I believe one of those key people was the late-great Stan Ricker of whom has the greatest knowledge of the half speed process.

Excerpt from Analog Planet:
"Ricker first made his mastering presence known as a disc cutter along with Jack Hunt, for the original Mobile Fidelity 1/2 speed mastered LPs released in the 1970s and 1980s."

Last edited:
Inside the box. The upload feature isn't working for me so here's a PB pic. Box is 1" thick with 1/4" foam top and bottom. Music Direct should copy SSD packaging. For 135$ I would think they would make sure this arrives with no flaws.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
2016 reissue UK/Europe pressing
index.php

91r you're comparing apples to oranges. It is not the box that makes these Bill Evans pressings noteworthy. It is not the limited release either. No-one but Mo-Fi is putting these things out. I probably won't be able to get another Ultradisc without paying stupid money and I won't do that.

I sold a second copy I bought of Abraxas to a fella for 3x my price. I did not advertise it for sale he contacted me.

I do wonder if after that 3000 limit pressing that they would make another stamper and press another 3000 batch. They are a business to make money and if they sell all 3000 at that price, why stop a good thing?

I do wonder if after that 3000 limit pressing that they would make another stamper and press another 3000 batch. They are a business to make money and if they sell all 3000 at that price, why stop a good thing?
Well one thing MFSL does do is hold to the numbers of the pressing generally 5000. Only a few have they ever did another round of pressing but it's not the same pressing or catalogue number and it was a supper supper demand.
The Beetles Box set got added onto, and that happened right away. the single title copies they held to the limit.

Pink Floyd DSOTM, three different pressings/catalog numbers over the past 30+ years.

Rikie Lee Joans S/T

to name a few.

Ken, I'd be happy if they did. Heck, I'd be happy if they pressed 300,000 of them. I want the best sounding records that money can buy. I don't want pressings of 3000.

I listened to side 2 of Record One again tonight.

This is a very natural recording. For that reason alone I adore it. Musically it is fine also. What I will say is that I wish they had applied this process to a really well recorded demanding recordings. State Of The Art process meets State Of The Art recording. I've already said I love Abraxas. I also love The Nightfly and Brothers In Arms, but are they SOTA recordings? Not even close to it in my book. To my way of thinking MoFi are squandering this process for popular recordings that sell well.

Yes. Our systems need to be excellent to take advantage of these pressings. Don't get me wrong. I'd imagine they will sound excellent on most every system. They will only sound their best on very-well sorted systems with especially strong analogue front-ends(turntable, arm, cartridge, phono stage). My system is probably just strong enough to glimpse what these recordings offer. Again, they will sound good on almost every system. They will sound their best on a tiny percentage. This is exactly what is needed. For analogue to advance, the vinyl needs to improve. Hence the last thing we need is worldwide pressings of 3000 combined with 'nice' popular recordings.

To MoFi: Please find the extraordinary master tapes to apply this process to. You have developed a new original advance at the key stage of record manufacture. Don't limit that output to less than 30,000. Find the best recordings ever. Make a true mark with this. Don't piddle around with tiny numbers and popular titles. Give the entire world a taste of this and watch the anti-vinyl brigade wet their pants.

Just got an email from ImportCd's cancelling my order and refunding my payment. So that's that.

I preordered The Nightfly over a week ago. I see on the same site that the preorder price displayed today is $40 higher than the price that I paid a week ago. There is some scalping going on.

If you don't preorder from Music Direct as soon as they announce that you can order it, I think your out of luck. Thats what I did with Abraxas and Bill evans. They only way to get them is in the second hand market "E-bay" and your going to pay big time for waiting as they sell out quickly.

I got my Ultradisc Nightfly.

Sounds very good. Just like the Bill Evans pressing, especially strong bass(enhanced?).

I got my Ultradisc Nightfly.

Sounds very good. Just like the Bill Evans pressing, especially strong bass(enhanced?).

Yep, got mine about 3 weeks ago but was not impressed with the phono stage tube set in my SP-15, I replaced the weak original Sovteks with 6922 JAN Phillips and wasn't all that thrilled. So it took a couple weeks but I finally scored a matched set of three 1966 Amperex (Heerleen, Hol) ECC88 bugle boys...worth the wait, oh yeah.

So tubes are in and put on about 20 hours of play time, I begin the pre-listening ritual, you know; fire up the tubes, open the box, savor that new vinyl smell, pour a quality single malt, slide that first disc out of the sleeve, zap it with the zerostat gun then platter and lightly clean with last cleaner, clean the stylus then FINALLY set the stylus into the lead-in and wait. The first thing I noticed before I.G.Y. started was nothing, like no sound, nada, black. Then the music begins with a width, depth, air, clarity and sparkle I've never heard from this album previous to now. At the end of the entire album I had only one tick, click or pop and it was half way through the lead-out on side 3. I've got this in CD, SACD, MoFi OMR and I have to say they are all inferior to the One-Step. I heard stuff I ain't never heard before, I even played the OMR 1/2 speed afterward with the new tube set just to be sure and it's not the same quality, good, but not as good. As for bass on the One-Step I was happy with what I heard on my system, more so than any of the other recordings I have of it with the original CD being the absolute worst. I just keep it around to show others what they're missing.

I am completely happy with my copy and looking forward to the next MoFi One-Step.

20171113_201329.jpg
20171113_201359.jpg

Last edited:
I have the original copy of the NIGHTLY, always sounded very , very good. I then bought a Mobil Fidelity pressing,,,,... fuller, deeper,”louder”. I cannot wait to hear my new copy,,,, paid “too” much, hope it’s worth it!!!

Back
Top Bottom