Open Baffle Epiphany!

That is pretty cool! I remember the console in Don's office. It got used once on the show.

Mine are in their temporary baffles and are sounding good. I don't want to make any hurried judgements. Who knows maybe they haven't seen any use in many years. Their weight surprised me - so light! But first impression is these are a winner! Here is a pic

View attachment 949961

Excellent! They'll really open up if you pull them out into the room.

I've found that you can search YouTube for "brown, pink, blue noise" and play the 12 hour version through the computer (if set up for it). I do that with all of my new to me drivers for a few days. Even the old ones. After a few hours the highs sound so much better and the mids get much cleaner. Those alnicos will surprise you with how light they are when you're used to the big heavy ferrite magnets.

I hope I wired them in phase. The terminal has a splotch of paint on the positive (+) side, correct? Or does the paint splotch mean negative(-)?

That is pretty cool! I remember the console in Don's office. It got used once on the show.

Mine are in their temporary baffles and are sounding good. I don't want to make any hurried judgements. Who knows maybe they haven't seen any use in many years. Their weight surprised me - so light! But first impression is these are a winner! Here is a pic

View attachment 949961

what amp are you running? It looks awfully cool.

Thanks, that is a Magnavox 9304 console pull.My local tech worked in the power button and volume. I kinda regret the color, but hey, you only live once.

Thanks, that is a Magnavox 9304 console pull.My local tech worked in the power button and volume. I kinda regret the color, but hey, you only live once.

Before I bought my Dennis Had Magnavox SE I bid on a bright green 9304 that I saw on the bay. Amazingly someone had painted the ends of the tubes red. It looked like Christmas. Had I bought it I would have taped it off and sprayed in with a hammered finish. The red tubes would have been a challenge.

I hope I wired them in phase. The terminal has a splotch of paint on the positive (+) side, correct? Or does the paint splotch mean negative(-)?

My Zeniths came with strange terminals which are small open metal tubes. I soldered a short extension wire to the tubes with a male spade connector end. A paint spot usually means +.
If it's wired out of phase you'll be able to tell by the sound. No damage done even if it is.

You can also wire them out of phase, face them towards each other and throw a blanket over them. Feed them some FM for 3 or 4 days, they will loosen up.

I did that the other night and played the pink,brown,blue noise video off of YouTube. Played overnight turned up quite a bit.

My boys (7 and 3) like to sleep with a white noise machine. They were tickled when they got to turn on the "big kid white noise machine" (my 3 year old). :D

It's a great way to loosen up old drivers that have sat for a long time. I plan on doing it this weekend with my new Zeniths.

Haven't heard from you in a couple days, can we assume you haven't been able to get away from how great those Zeniths are? :music::)

Well, I actually had a shootout last night between the zeniths and my Wild Burro Betsys. The result has led me to ship away the zeniths today in the mail...

... to Bud Purvine for EnABL'ing! :) they are as amazing as Poultrygeist and GlowAudio says.

Oh dang! hooray! I'm pumped. Mine got shipped a day later than I thought they would be. So I'm still waiting. Shouldn't be much longer. I NEED THEM.

I'm excited to see how far these things can be taken. I might even try some damping of the basket too.

Well, I actually had a shootout last night between the zeniths and my Wild Burro Betsys. The result has led me to ship away the zeniths today in the mail...
... to Bud Purvine for EnABL'ing! :) they are as amazing as Poultrygeist and GlowAudio says.

I'm a little confused here. Are you saying you got rid of the Zeniths or you got another pair?

Yep, exactly. I'm going all in. :)

I'm not into using flowery descriptive terms for audio, but I'll describe the Zenith the best I can.

It is everything the Betsy's are, but bigger and better. I have lived with the Betsy's for one year and have been very pleased with them. But compared to the Zeniths a bit of shoutiness in the vocals appeared. The Zeniths midrange is heavenly - I listened to the whole of Marvin Gaye's What's Going On? because I couldn't turn it off after the title track. I also put on the new Eluvium CD, which is experimental operatic ambient, and I was completely blown away. It was like hearing it for the first time, I swear! The lack of a whizzer cone for the highs just smooths everything out without taking away any of the highs. The dynamics improved tenfold, it was really something.

So, the wheels started turning and I thought "Gosh, if it sounds this great then how would EnABL make it sound?" Well, I'll find out in 3 weeks. I did much research on EnABL and the general consensus is that it does no harm to the driver, so I figured I was gonna go for it. Many people swear they can hear the results right away.

A google search leads me to nothing pertinent to my question:
so what exactly is this EnABL treatment?
Curious cats want to know:dunno:

I've listened to the EnABL painted dots on Fostex drivers and could hear no improvement in the sound but we all hear differently. Some folks go so far as to use violin varnish on their full range driver cones. The woofers below came from some Sansui's left on there curb. Painted their badly faded cones with "Wet Look" from Parts Express and not only did it improve their looks but I'm pretty sure it tightened the bass.

PC270006.jpg

Back
Top Bottom