Open Baffle Epiphany!

Meaning the Beta 15's cutout was too large for a 12" woofer so I went with the AE unit. Ther Voxativ's deserved a nice woofer.

I would only use the Zeniths as wide band main drivers as their mids and highs are second to none. Using the big folding wing OB configuration for increased bass I can see them used as single drivers ala Mr Glow-in-the-dark. I would however locate the Zenith slightly above the middle of the baffle rather than high on the baffle.

I would only use the Zeniths as wide band main drivers as their mids and highs are second to none. Using the big folding wing OB configuration for increased bass I can see them used as single drivers ala Mr Glow-in-the-dark. I would however locate the Zenith slightly above the middle of the baffle rather than high on the baffle.
You have right with the zeniths to the baffle. I plan to buy a pair woofer and to do a new baffle polystyrene that you tell . But I don't know what I prefer, Tone tubby 12" or acoustic elegance 15". I think Tone tubby. Do you?? With active crossover what is the preferred?

You have right with the zeniths to the baffle. I plan to buy a pair woofer and to do a new baffle polystyrene that you tell . But I don't know what I prefer, Tone tubby 12" or acoustic elegance 15". I think Tone tubby. Do you?? With active crossover what is the preferred?

I have no experience with either. According to some the AE requires some circuit intervention. Maybe a coil on the TT (?) but you have to love the fact it has a hemp cone. The Alpha 15a may not perform at the same level but it requires no tweaks. Bass has become somewhat secondary these days as all I need for acoustic music is foundation or bass weight.

I have no experience with either. According to some the AE requires some circuit intervention. Maybe a coil on the TT (?) but you have to love the fact it has a hemp cone. The Alpha 15a may not perform at the same level but it requires no tweaks. Bass has become somewhat secondary these days as all I need for acoustic music is foundation or bass weight.
Then I think that is not risk to buy finally the OB-A15Neo is based around the sonic characteristics of the Eminence Alpha15a. I want to work this with active crossover because I have not knowledge for more complex crossovers. And its price is a little better for my country (Greece, Europe) without customs. I appreciate your knowledge and your help and I want your opinion to this subject. I follow you... Thank you very much

Some years ago I salvaged these 16" woofers from Sansui speakers left on the curb. They were the only drivers in the cabinets that weren't blown. They were badly faded so I painted the cones with "Wet Look" from PE which not only made them look presentable but also tightened the bass.

I threw together some baffles and low passed them with some passives from PE. But with all the other builds over the years I lost interest in them and they've since been collecting dust in the garage.

This week I brought them into the house, removed the passives and connected them to a Yung SD100 plate amp. They are now providing the lows for a pair of Frugal Horn Mk3's and I was shocked at how seamlessly they integrate. Bass as you might expect is not as deep as the bucket subs but I believe it's more accurate.

View attachment 1292621

Are these in a bi-amp configuration?

Are these in a bi-amp configuration?

Yes I power both woofers with this $99 Yung SD100 plate amp placed in a wood frame.

301-502_HR_0.jpg

Trying something different I replaced the buckets subs with these 16" OB woofers pulled from Sansui kabuki speakers left on the curb. They do a great job of augmenting the bass for the Frugal Horns. I doubt they go below 40hz but love how accurate they sound. I listen to a lot of acoustic bass ( John Clayton, Ray Brown etc ) and with these big woofers you get that bass weight on the end of every note.

P1010017.jpg

Trying something different I replaced the buckets subs with these 16" OB woofers pulled from Sansui kabuki speakers left on the curb. They do a great job of augmenting the bass for the Frugal Horns. I doubt they go below 40hz but love how accurate they sound. I listen to a lot of acoustic bass ( John Clayton, Ray Brown etc ) and with these big woofers you get that bass weight on the end of every note.

View attachment 1308431
Deal of the century right there. Free is always good.
Lowest bass note (standard tuning) goes down to 40hz so if you're hitting that at decent decibels you're good to go.
Have you thought about putting a U or H frame around those or is the sound that good you don't want to mess with it?

Deal of the century right there. Free is always good.
Lowest bass note (standard tuning) goes down to 40hz so if you're hitting that at decent decibels you're good to go.
Have you thought about putting a U or H frame around those or is the sound that good you don't want to mess with it?

They sound too good the way they are. You're right about 40hz as the acoustic music I listen rarely if ever goes lower.

Not much music in the 20-30hz as most of what you can hear down there is room rumble.

Depending on the source, some old recordings have a sub 30hz rumble. The engineers didn't have the equipment to notice it. Could be electrical feedback in the signal. It comes out as a low end noise. Bob Marley's "My Cup" off of the Trojan release is an example. The moral of the story is, its a good idea to have a subsonic filter to take out the ultra low frequency noise. You can barely even hear it, but it is there. If you don't listen to old recordings, then probably is not a concern. high pass 30hz plus?

Depending on the source, some old recordings have a sub 30hz rumble. The engineers didn't have the equipment to notice it. Could be electrical feedback in the signal. It comes out as a low end noise. Bob Marley's "My Cup" off of the Trojan release is an example.
The moral of the story is, its a good idea to have a subsonic filter to take out the ultra low frequency noise. You can barely even hear it, but it is there. If you don't listen to old recordings, then probably is not a concern. high pass 30hz plus?
Yeah, and that useless noise can suck the juice out of your amp too. A mighty good reason those 70's receivers had a rumble filter.
Not really much use for the high filter though unless you're playing some old crappy records you borrowed from a friend who likes to keep them in a pile on the floor, without the sleeves.:rolleyes:.

Hello Goggle you need two big leathers thick and hard and two wood cycles for the drivers. Or if you have baffles from wood or polystyrene or cork , you can glue the leather to the baffles. The leather is the best acoustically material because is flat throughout the acoustic spectrum without colourations and very very natural sound. Now I plan to glue all leather to my new baffles from polystyrene.

Miron, can you share more details about how your leather OB’s are made? How thick is the foam? How big are the wood circles that support the drivers? Maybe you could show a picture from the back side of your big leather OB’s.

This idea of leather as a surface treatment fascinates me.

Thank you Miron.

I got to hear 3 different models of the Pure Audio Project line on Saturday at an Open House event in Princeton New Jersey. The owner was there from Israel along with people from Lampizator and Hattor.

These were the 3 systems I heard

• Room One (Basement)
    • Speakers: Pure Audio Quintet 10 with Voxativ Full Range Driver and 4 10" woofers per side
    • DAC: Lampizator Big7 with 101d/300b tubes, we can swap the tubes if folks are interested in doing that
    • Amp: Hattor Audio, Tube Integrated
    • Source: Laptop with Qobuz, Pioneer SACD Player

• Room Two (Family Room)
    • Speakers: Pure Audio Quintet 15 with Horn setup and 4 15" woofers per side
    • DAC: Lampizator Pacific (not sure about the tube combo, but it will most likely be KR Audio RK 300b. Both the Big7 and Pacific support 45, 242, px4, 300b and 101d as the output tubes)
    • Amp: Lampizator Solid State Integrated
    • Source: Laptop with Qobuz, Lampizator team is bring server along, Pioneer SACD Player

• Room Three (Spare Bedroom on the 2nd Floor, from the front stairs - top of the stairs hang a left and it is the last door on the right, from the stairs in family room, it's the last door on the right)
    • Speakers: Pure Audio Trio 10 with Voxativ Full Range and 2 10" woofers per side
    • DAC: Lampizator Golden Atlantic with 4P1L
    • Amp: Hattor Audio Solid State Integrated
    • Source Laptop with Qobuz, Sony CD Player
The Trio 15s were nice enough with the stock full range and when they swapped in the German drivers for an extra $12K they were really smooth.

I was mostly impressed with the smaller Trio 10s with the Voxitiv driver and the small Hattor Integrated. They sounded great with the Lampi DAC and without.View attachment 1317544 View attachment 1317545 View attachment 1317546 View attachment 1317547 View attachment 1317548 View attachment 1317549 View attachment 1317550 View attachment 1317551

Poultry, I could live with with the small ones, but not very Wife acceptable. I was very surprised and amazed. I was equally amazed at the little Hattor SS Integrated. The swapped out the Hybrid Prototype in the little room with the bigguns in the living room and it drove them effortlessly also. The coolest thing with these is how much you can customize them to your liking and budget.

Jury is out on the $50K Lampi DAC tho, cannot justify that one...LOL

Back
Top Bottom