Open Baffle Epiphany!

Just a photo of my OB setup to help keep this epic thread to the top....

4 Tang Band 1808's per channel. Can be run full range but I use an active crossover most the time at about 80hz. Below that freq, the stack of 8 10's Goldwood's, corner loaded take over.

Wonderful imaging and stage depth and no lack of bass above about 30hz to report. Listening distance about 11ft. About five, or maybe a little more, behind the mains. No need for any other filtering or elements between the amps and the drivers. Four sections of 5 watts gives me all I need for power.

A friend says it gives the mids that all the horn guys (of which he is one) are disparately trying to get.

EV3
I winced when I saw the total for 2 TB 1808's I bought........whew!!

"4 Tang Band 1808's per channel." :thumbsup:

I did this a few years back with Visaton B200s wired in parallel; I had a couple of amps that could handle the load solo.
I switched between all full range and one full range (inductor on bottom 3) ; sounded pretty good to me either way.

I've played with several different drivers in parallel. I've got some cheaper drivers now running 6 a side, wired for two strings of 3 in parallel. The TB drivers are just so much nicer sounding!

Nice thing is, running a First Watt current source amp I can run parallel with no issues. And I prefer and really believe it's much better to run parallel and not have another driver acting as a filter as when you series. However......in the case of these TB's, after upping to four instead of three, I've got it series-parallel so that it's an eight ohm load and can therefore use some tube amps that only have 8 ohm taps available. It's just real handy being a 8 to the amps.

EV3

I just finished my entry into the Open Baffle Derby.
They kind of pale in comparison to the multiple TB 1808's.
My initial listening impression is very positive. Full, rich sounding.

Attachments

• IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 81
Nicely done, H-Subs and all. Some people (unlike me:rolleyes:) don't mess around:thumbsup:

I see you have a small collection back there.
Would like to hear your opinion on how these compare to your other speakers,
once you've settled in with them, of course.

What are you using as a crossover? thanks
Thanks for the kind remarks!

The Xo is handled byHarrison Lab's Fmod 70 hz.
The 1808 as FR.
NO passive parts between the Amps and speakers.
These are not even broken in yet, not positioned optimally and I haven't broken out the Maggie tube amp for the TB as yet.
Despite these shortcomings.............They sound awesome!
This thread was aptly labeled................."Open Baffle Epiphany!

Added some trim. Wife say they need to be darker. Thinking some Black Walnut ply might suit her. And there sounding better every day. A tweek here and there

I'm paying attention and agree. The Cornwalls are darker but now that I have the chance I'll keep them lighter. Thinking about trying some Black Walnut I have but it's quite dark. This amps Walnut. And thanks for the push in a round about way making these a reality. I'm still not sure if I have the woofers connected right. I have the going to the sub woofer connections, tied together.
DSC_0005.JPG

Home Depot Birch ply not equal. One took stain well, the other no so. Good thing there just trial baffles. Running the good stuff today. Se 45's on the AN's with the plate amp and source is the Classic 1/ART 9. Sounds sweeeeeet. Cones are getting loose. Any opinions on a phase plug?DSC_0004.JPG

I hate the way most of the plywood from big box stores stains. You can't get an even stain and that's why I got with a natural or very light Ipswich pine stain. I also resort to wall papering my MDF baffles which is much easier than painting them. The only plywood I've had good luck with is red oak with a gunstock stain.

Plywood should be partially sealed before staining. Oil or a sanding sealer.

Just saying as I don't know how you guys approach it.

Eric

I'll use some good quality veneer ply on the next build ( yea already contemplating another pair) I will reduce the gap between the 2 speakers and make the baffles wider & shorter.

Back
Top Bottom