Opinion on kenwood L-09m

Harolda

How good are the kenwood l-09m?

I already have one. About 2 years ago i bought a restored set via Ebay complete with a l-07c. It was send via an eBay logisitics center in the US and in the end i ended up with only one l-09m unit, i never received the other l-09m unit and the l-07c. I was fully compensated so ended up with one l-09m for free but never used it.

Now I have the option to get 4 units, 3 in working order (restored) and one for spare parts.
So that would give me 2 working pairs.

Who has experience with these units an how do they compare to other power amps.

My current amp collection is:

Sony
2x TA-N7B
1x TA-N86B

Yamaha
2x B1
1x B2

Sansui
AU X1

Kenwood
1x L09M

regards

I've heard the L-09n is better than Yamaha B's and Sansui AU X1. It was considered as close to Accuphase and Luxman

I finished rebuilding my pair not to long ago and I love them. Best amps I've heard to date and I've heard quite a few.

Dan

The L-09M is a big, beautiful brute force kind of amplifier- separate power transformers for the + and - voltage rails, and then paralleled output devices for each phase to make sure it can deliver enough current to get up to its rated output...

this sort of redundancy was a requirement in the late 70s before super high current output devices and efficient affordable switching power supplies existed (in consumer electronics anyway)

While not the last word in resolution, they're a ton of fun to listen to. Enjoy!

You already have the best of the best. IMO, the L-09M is a worthy addition to the stable. I have four pairs that I acquired over the years and have never thought of selling them. They flatter Yamaha NS-1000M's which is difficult to do. At 300 wpc, they loaf at most output settings and run at or near room temp at all times. The best part is they sound great and maintain superb balance at any volume.

I bought a pair of unrestored L-09M's from another AKer, and sent them to EchoWars for a complete restoration. They're excellent amps.

I don't think they're better than the Yamaha B-1 or B-2, unless you need 300+ clean watts per channel.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but what are the L-09M's worth today for an unmodded original set?

Back
Top Bottom